"Anything can be a weapon." He closed his fist around the pin and lowered his hand. All these threats but never hitting me... He was building up to it. He was scaring me into place and I wasn't sure if it was working or not.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me back out into the hall. I watched his cold face as we walked, as he dragged me. He always seemed frustrated with me. I really had failed everything I had planned to do when coming here.

"U-jin!" The harshness of his voice seemed to tighten his grasp on my arms. I tripped but he continued to drag me. U-jin and his attachment guard came running over to the king and bowed to him. "Have her window sealed shut. Take her to me for dinner. She shouldn't be left alone with anything breakable."

"You won't have to be annoyed with me for much longer." I muttered bitterly beneath my breath. He turned to me in a violent fury and gripped both my arms. I turned my face towards the floor to hide from his gaze.

"What are you trying to do when you say these things?" His voice was more of a snarl but he was right. I needed to shut up. I needed to stop lashing out but I felt cornered and helpless and my mouth seemed to work on its own. "How do you expect me to react? Do expect me just stand still and let you claim you're honouring your family?"

I winced.

He was right. I was dishonouring my family by being so disruptive. I couldn't bring myself to face him. He didn't let go of me. I could feel his gaze searing into my skin and burning through me.

"I am only trying to do my best by my family." I swallowed and he gripped me tighter.

"I don't care." I squeezed my eyes shut. "I've seen enough to know what's going on. If that's what they want... they'll be disappointed, but at least we'll have the treaty."

I didn't know what to say anymore. It was clear our marriage was now purely a political move, and whether or not I would suffer from a terrible illness or have a terrible accident after... my father wouldn't suspect a thing. The treaty would stand still, I would die a dishonour, murdered by my husband. He let go of me and stormed down the hallway.

I forced myself to look over at U-jin who seemed hesitant to force me back into my room. He made a motion to his friend and he headed back to my room. U-jin walked up to me.

"You know you have to go back." He spoke in a soft voice. I watched the king's figure disappear around the corner and I let myself let out a small sob. I was embarrassed U-jin was there, but I couldn't hold it in. U-jin looked uncertain of what to do, then slowly and awkwardly came and started to pat my back.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked him.

"You just have to remember your loyalties lie with The Land of the Night Sky now. We're not at war anymore." My eyes flicked back to the place he had been walking.

"Everything with him is war." He put a hand on my back and I gave in and started walking back to my room. Two guards walked out of my room with a tool box as we approached.

"He's just trying his best you know." U-jin spoke tentatively and I turned to face him, scrunching my face in skepticism.

"Is what you meant by loyalty? Turning a blind eye to his cruelty?" I shot back at him. He seemed slightly confused and wounded. So be it.

"You don't make it easy-"

"Of course. He's trying his best but I'm difficult." I smiled and walked into my room. U-jin lingered at the door.

"That's not what I meant-"

"If you're free you should come to my funeral. It's in two days' time." I held up two fingers and waved them at him.