Investigative Journalism

Start from the beginning

Sarah nodded, rushing forward to sit in a chair in front of the desk. 

"Aren't you going to write this down?" asked Mrs. Karasu.

Sarah did a quick search of her pockets. She didn't have a notebook or quill of any kind on her. "Uh no, it's not that formal, really."

The Karasus shook their heads together again, lamenting Sarah's carelessness for proper journalism, no doubt. 

"Carry on, then," said Mr. Karasu, waving his hand. 

"Right, well," Sarah shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "How do you believe the Vigilante is able to track down all these reformed Death Eaters?"

"That question is better directed at the Auror Office," said Mr. Karasu.

"And is classified," added Mrs. Karasu. 

"Okay..." said Sarah. "Who do you think is the most likely suspect?"

"Again, a question for the aurors," said Mr. Karasu. "Once the culprit is captured, we will decide what to do with them, but the investigation is not for the Wizengamot to handle."

It was clear the Karasus found this interview to be a waste of time. Sarah couldn't help but agree. She could sense that she was about to be dismissed, so she searched the room frantically for something that would lead the conversation to Tulip. 

There were a few framed photographs hanging from the beige walls, all depicting the Karasus standing somewhere important or shaking the hand of some official. There were several copies of important laws that had been framed or hung up, but she saw no sign of Tulip anywhere. 

"Well, if that's all," Tulip's father began. 

"Is Tulip Karasu your daughter?" she blurted.

Both parents straightened up, their frowns more pronounced. Mr. Karasu folded his arms and eyed her suspiciously. For some reason, it made Sarah think of an angry crab. 

"Why do you ask?" said Mrs. Karasu. 

"I went to school with her," said Sarah. "I heard she was working up here and was hoping to run into her. We were old friends, you see."

"Naturally." Mr. Karasu rolled his eyes. 

"She used to work here, but she doesn't anymore," said Tulip's mother. "Your five minutes are up."

Sarah stood, but did not leave. "Where is she now? I'd love to get in touch with her."

"I'm not sure," she said, not looking at Sarah. She bustled over to the door, holding it open for Sarah to exit. 

"You don't know where your daughter is?" she asked. 

Mr. Karasu's face went as red as his wife's hair. "Get out."

Mrs. Karasu grabbed her sleeve, pulling her to the door. 

Sarah took a deep breath, before telling a bold-faced lie. "Yeah, see, here's the thing. Rita knows there was some sort of scandal in this department recently. She sent me here to find proof of it."

"Out!" 

Sarah could practically see the steam coming from Mr. Karasu's ears as she was tugged across the threshold by his wife. 

"But," Sarah called desperately, "I won't tell her a word if you tell me how I can find Tulip."

Mrs. Karasu yanked her back inside and slammed the office door, blocking out potential eavesdroppers. "Are you attempting to blackmail members of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

"Not blackmail," said Sarah, straightening her robes, and giving her best Rita Skeeter smile. "I'd never do a thing like that. I know the Ministry's under a lot of stress right now, and I know Rita can be...unhelpful. So, if you'll just tell me where I can find Tulip, I'll tell her there's no story down here for her to sniff up."

To her surprise, the Karasus glanced at each other gravely. Was there actually some kind of scandal going on?

Tulip's father picked up a clean sheet of parchment and scribbled on it with a black quill. "This is the address of the flat she was staying in when last we spoke. I can't say if she's still there."

"That's lovely, thank you." Sarah reached out to grab the parchment, but Mr. Karasu snatched it back at the last instant.

"If you take this, you promise not to tell anyone about what we talked about today."

"I promise," said Sarah, reaching out again. 

"And," the man continued, sweat forming on his forehead, "And, not to tell anyone anything that Tulip says about us when you find her."

"Okay," said Sarah, bewildered. 

After a moment more of hesitation, Mr. Karasu handed her the paper. Sarah glanced briefly at it before rolling it up and placing it in a pocket of her robes.

"Now, please, get out."

Mrs. Karasu opened the door. This time, Sarah was happy to exit. 

Back on the main floor, she could see some commotion over by a cluster of desks where junior workers were assembling pamphlets. Someone was on the ground, apparently unconscious, the other juniors gathered around her. 

"What the devil is it now?" said Tulip's mother, pushing past Sarah and striding over, closely followed by her husband. 

Sarah briefly considered using the distraction to search through the Karasus' office and find out what they were hiding, but then she noticed through the gaps in people's legs that the person on the floor had long red hair and bright pink dress. 

Sarah moved toward the group, her heart racing madly, but she was grabbed by the armpit and pulled away, toward the elevator. She looked up to see a beefy man with a thick mustache dragging her away, looking straight ahead. She was about to protest, until she remembered it was Talbott. 

"That's not Barnaby," he muttered as he pulled her along. "The really Tamara Smethwick turned up. Barnaby and Diego should be waiting for us in the atrium."

Sarah glanced back to see that someone had revived Tamara, who was sitting up and looking around horrorstruck. "I saw someone who looked just like me!" she was stammering. "My doppelganger she was, and she attacked me!"

"We need to hurry," said Talbott. They'd reached the elevator. He pushed the button several times before it teetered and began moving up. 

They found Barnaby and Diego in the atrium waiting by one of the fireplace exits. Talbott signaled for them to get going. 

Sarah did her best to run without looking like she was in a hurry as they made for the exit themselves. As she did, she heard the elevator doors opening behind them. Someone, presumably an Auror, said, "Get the fireplaces closed."

She ducked into the nearest fireplace right behind Talbott, feeling the sucking feeling of being squeezed down a small tube, until she appeared in the restroom that doubled as a secret entrance to the ministry. She ran out of the bathroom and into the nearest alley to find the others. 

"We barely made it," she said. "They were about to close off the exits."

"Let's get good and clear away from this building," said Talbott. "They'll be out here looking for a Tamara look alike in a minute."

"Tulip is staying in London," said Sarah. "We could head there now."

"Shouldn't we head back to the house for a bit?" asked Diego. He was breathing heavily from the hustled escape in his large body. "Let things cool off around here?"

Barnaby laughed. "You don't know Sarah that well, do you? She's going now. We can go with her or clear off."

 It was true; Sarah didn't want to wait. She looked pleadingly at the others. 

"To Tulip's then," said Talbott. "I suppose there's little chance of them finding us in the middle of London, anyway."