The Real Deal (5x12)

Start from the beginning

You stepped closer to her, needing her to calm down. Beneath all her anger was just a woman who cared too much. ''Baby, let's just keep-''

But without mercy, she cut you off, her voice still raised. ''No! No, no, no.'' She pointed to May, who watched the whole ordeal with her straight face. ''May is never gonna be full strength, whether you'll admit it or not. Mack is seconds away from quitting again because the love of his life, our only other strong fighter, was literally cut to pieces.''

''Daisy,'' May warned her sternly, but she just kept rambling and rambling.

''Y/N may never get her powers back. Piper stabbed us in the frickin' backs. And FitzSimmons -my God, you really want to risk their lives again? They've been through enough! And guess what, Coulson - that's it! That's everybody!''

''No, that's not it!'' Coulson finally yelled, stepping even closer to her. He wobbled a bit when he did so, but nobody noticed. ''There's an idea, ‭a symbol that must continue, no matter what. A SHIELD. And I-I need you to... I need you to...'' He lost his breath, he couldn't breathe anymore and his eyes glazed over. He doubled over and sweat dripped down his forehead. Then he collapsed all together, and before anyone could catch him, fell to the ground. 

You all rushed over, crouching down next to him, the fight forgotten. ''Wait. What happened?'' Fitz asked confused. But nobody knew what happened. 

''Get Simmons. Now!'' May ordered, tapping Coulson's cheek to wake him up, but he just lay there. Funny how some people can look immortal and be immortal in your head. They had avoided death so many times it felt as if they couldn't die, but even the leader of one of the biggest intelligence agencies in the world had a heart that could stop beating.

Jemma came rushing in quickly and you carefully pulled Daisy away. ''Come on, let her do her job,'' you whispered softly. She let you guide her away, but not too far so she could see what was going on. You wanted to protect her from seeing this, but knew you couldn't. 

When Jemma pulled his shirt open, it was clear why he had collapsed. The huge scar on his chest, the one from the Chitauri scepter, was open again, fresh. Your mind went back to the Ghost Rider, less than a year ago. Coulson said he had made a deal, but he had never said what he had given to the demon. 

Coulson wasn't just unwell, he was dying. Again.

~~~~~

While everyone waited in the control room, Jemma checked his injury. Daisy stood with her arms crossed against the wall, an empty look in her eyes which were directed at the floor. She didn't want to jump to conclusions, but she knew it was bad. You knew to leave her alone for now, at least until there was more information. She would only get mad if you tried to comfort her. 

So instead you leaned on the desk, next to May, so you could keep a close eye on her and be there when she did break down. Over the last couple weeks, you had noticed May cared more about Coulson than before and you couldn't help but believe there was something more than a friendship going on there.

It was completely silent in the room. Not even Mack, who had been informed of the events, or Fitz spoke. Everyone was lost in their own heads, repeating events, trying to see if they had missed any clues. But afterwards, it was always easy to spot things.

As if he was walking the walk of shame, Coulson shuffled in. Daisy glanced at him but was quick to look back to the floor. She was angry, and understandably so. He had hidden the fact he was dying, giving everyone less time to accept he would be gone soon. He was like a father to her, and therefore in turn, also very important to you.