Crap.

***

Great. My second detention.

We were meant to be doing our projects now, and Max was furiously flicking through books. I tried to concentrate, but it was hard, because our knees kept knocking together, sending a shiver up my body.

So I stared out of the window, my eyes glazing over.

Prom was tomorrow. I didn’t really know is Max was going to ask me… I glanced at him, and watched Max blink at a book furiously. I bit my lip. I really hoped he would ask me. Okay, the idea of Prom was dumb and cliché, and totally and utterly lame, but… I wanted to go with Max.

How slushy is that?

I stared at him, until he noticed my gaze boring into the back of his head, and looked up.

“What?” he whispered, totally clueless about my agonies. I swallowed, glancing at the teacher to make sure he wasn’t listening. Come on, Alexis. You have to ask him. You are strong. You can…

“Are we going to Prom, or what?”

Max stared at me, confused. His hand slipped into his pocket, and pulled out some tickets. “Weren’t we going already?”

My gaze focused on the slips of paper, and unconsciously, I welled up. He’d bought the tickets…how sweet.

“Yes,” I said. “Yes, we are.”

***

Prom

***

I adjusted the strap of my dress. My push-up bra was awesome. I tilted my hips, and smirked. Ready.

“You’re going out like that?”

My head spun, and I glared at my Mom. (When did she get back?)

“It’s called fashion, Mom.”

“You can call it fashion all you want, you’re still not going out like that.”

I smiled, in semi-surprise and semi-happiness. I was kind of glad I could have a normal mother-daughter conversation with her – though I had no idea why.

“But Mom…” I whined. “It’s Prom! All the other girls will be wearing things like this! This is a Chanel original, okay? It was specially tailored for me! You can’t just let it go to waste –”

“Fine,” my Mom snapped, caving in. She smiled at me, and for a moment she wasn’t the shrewd business woman who owned and controlled a massive, global company, but just my Mom. My friendly, sweet Mom who baked my cookies and stuff (not that she’d ever done that. She sucks at anything more complicated than boiling water.

“So Mom, why are you back?”

Her face changed back again, and suddenly she was cold.

“No reason. Can’t I come and see my own daughter for once?”

I grit my teeth. “You’ve never done before.”

“You –” she started, but she closed her eyes again, and I could quite clearly see her counting to ten in her head. “No, Alexis,” she said, with loads of effort. “You’re right. And that’s mainly the reason I came back. Your Father and I will like to talk to you, tonight, as soon as you come back from Prom –”

“Dad’s back too?”

This was…different. Before, they’d completely avoid each other at all costs. Why would they be back, and both at once?

There was a sick feeling at the bottom of my stomach.

“Great, Mom,” I said, smiling as naturally as I could. There was a silence. Then the sound of the doorbell broke it.

“Max!” I yelled, running out of my room. I grabbed the pair of shoes I’d left outside the room, and ran to stairs. Max was here, Max’ll make everything better, he’ll tell me what to do about my family, Max’ll make everything alright again...

I looked down at Max, from the top, and I stopped running. Oh God, he looked good. The tux made him look so elegant, and his face was pulled up in a cute smirk. He looked up and down my appreciatively, and his smirk turned into a broad grin.

He bowed slowly, sloping down his head. When he’d looked up, his expression had completely changed. It was gentle, and soft, and loving. My heart raced.

“Alexis, will you do the honor, of being my date for Prom?”

“I’d love to.”

***

Author's Note: This book is almost done!!! Yay, then I can start another book soon XxX

Love you all!!!

P.S. Vomment!!