I stared at him wide-eyed before snorting while starting to laugh. I sat up while I tried to suppress my laughter.

"Oi-!! Shut up!! Are you trying to wake up the whole goddamn forest??!" Ray exclaimed. I snorted, covering my mouth.

When I finally calmed down I cleared my throat and wiped my tears. "Funny you should call me crazy for that, considering who you were talking to up on the wall the day of our escape way back."

I saw Ray's eyes cloud in confusion for a moment before they cleared up. "HAAH-?! YOU SAW THAT??!" He exclaimed, turning bright red and waving his arms.

"Who's going to wake up the forest now." I scolded, elbowing his side. He stopped making noise and hung his head in embarrassment.

We sat in a comfortable silence- as comfortable as you can be up in a tree and waiting to be bombarded by demons. After quite some time Ray began speaking again- in hushed tones to avoid disturbing the ecosystem and alarming demons.

"Why are you still up?" He asked quietly. I jumped a little but stayed silent. "You traded shifts with me a while ago. You should've had a chance to switch with someone several chances since then." I chewed on the inside of my lip. "Is something bothering you?"

I sighed in relent. "I'm worried that at least one of the soldiers managed to survive." I said with a yawn.

"E-ehh?? Isn't that kind of bad?" Ray exclaimed.

I shrugged. "Probably. That's why I'm still up." I yawned again, resting my head against the trunk of the tree.

Ray hummed. "The size of that explosion was massive. There's no way someone inside could've survived."

I shook my head. "In the Original Timeline there was a survivor in the room Yuugo and Lucas blew up. He was bleeding out of multiple places and barely clinging to life. And he still managed to kill several people. I can't let that happen this time." I clenched and unclenches my hand around my gun's handle, before rubbing my eyes tiredly. There was a light bump to my shoulder as Ray nudged me gently.

"And how exactly are you going to do anything half-awake?" He chided, crossing his arms.

I pursed my lips. He had a point, but...

"I'll stay here and keep watch. I've already gotten a few hours of sleep." Ray placed his hand on my head lightly. "I know you're a dumb*ss who takes pride in their ability to survive on the bare minimum amounts of sleep, but please, for the love of god, get some real rest." And then, without another word, he got into position, resting his gun beside him for easy use, and turning straight ahead.

I stayed for another few minutes before relenting, beginning my journey down the tree. "See you tomorrow, ya stubborn butt. ...and you're the dumb*ss." I saw Ray roll his eyes before I scampered down the tree like the squirrel I was and walked sluggishly into the cave.

I laid down in the bedding besides Emma and sighed, pulling my blanket up to my chin. I tried to calm my fluttering heart. Why was it pounding so hard? It can't be...

-----

"Y/N!! Y/N!! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!" I awoke to someone shaking my roughly in the shoulders.

"Wha-what? What's going on?" As my eyes cleared up from being blurry I recognized Emma. I shot up suddenly, hearing the alarm in her voice. "What's wrong?" I exclaimed, looking around frantically.

"Ray!! He's gone!!" She exclaimed, tears spouting from her eyes.

"Ray's...what?" I felt my heart drop to my feet.