Chapter 3: Black and Black

Start from the beginning

"I don't even know if I want to be a shinobi. I hate fighting someone." She said nonchanantly. The last sentence was the only honest truth that came out from her mouth when this meeting started, even her name was not remotely true. She hates conflict for the most of her part, she was an observer from her time. "I don't like hurting anyone." She said quietly like a good girl she was supposed to be.

She could feel the narrowed gaze that's boring into her skull from Danzo. "Well then I have your answer, Rei." He turned to Takeshi. "How about you?"

"I uh.." He was hesitating to answer. "If you'll forgive me Danzo-sama, can you give me more time to think?"

The old man only grunted making Takeshi tense and stood up. "Very well, I'll give you another week." The stomp of his cane was evident that he was angry. "You are going to waste a weeks time of training thinking." By that he opened the door and slammed it close.

The two children was left alone only hearing the apologies coming from Kaori to Danzo. Rei only looked at the older boy cocking her head sideways with a question gnawing her thoughts. "Hey." She called.

The boy only sighed in relief much to her confusion. He turned to her with a bright grin. "Hello, Rei-chan."

'Rei-chan? The last one who called me that was Shana-nee-san before she finally left to live somehere.' "Why didn't you take the offer yet? Also I didn't know you wanted to become a shinobi." She asked curiously.

"Well... To be honest I was already planning on saying yes before I left my building and heard of Danzo-sama's arrival." Rei's eyes widened with Takeshi's words.

"Then..." She started. 'Why didn't you?' She wanted to ask, but the boy continued and answered almost telepathically.

"You know, I didn't really had any friends in this orphanage. Most kids gets adopted in the early age, but when some parents ask me what I wanted to do, I say that I wanted to be a shinobi. They didn't like it. It was too dangerous they said, they couldn't afford paying for me only for me to die." He solemnly looked at her and smiled. "So when Danzo-sama told me what he wanted to do with me I was ecstatic, I wanted to say yes. But then I met you earlier then you said you hate fighting and you don't like to hurt anyone." He looked at her curiously.

"Why is that?" He asked.

Rei's eyes only continued to widen. "What do you mean?" 'Wasn't that obvious? I'm a goddamn kid!'

"I mean... You seem more smarter than the rest. I asked Kaori-san about you. She said you were special. A born genius." Takeshi started to study her face.

'Oh. Oh no.' "I'm not." She told him the truth her tone was flat, she wasn't a genius. But he didn't believe her.

"Your answer to my question can affect my final answer to Danzo-sama." He stated.

Rei tilted her head on the notion. "What?" 'My answer? The reason I hates fighting? The reason I don't want to hurt others? Physically?' "You'll find it dumb. My reasoning is my own, but not everyone can relate to it."

"But I still want to know." He insisted.

Rei frowned at Takeshi. His future will be based on her answer? Would she want him be part of ROOT? The gruesome training and then killing their partners in the future? Would she want him be part of that? A boy who was standing before her, wanting to protect the village as a shinobi. She knew all the answer to her question.

"I hate seeing blood." She finally stated with hollow in her voice.

"Huh? Blood?" He questioned stupidly.