An Apology and a Friend

Start from the beginning

"Are you going back already?" America asked me as I turned to start running again.

"Yes."

"Can I come with you?"

"Do you mean, may you come with me?" I laughed at his rapid change of expression, from hopefulness to annoyance. "Just trying to improve your English."

"Ha ha, I'm always improving English," he stuffed his hands in his pockets as I gestured for him to follow. "I live with an English professor."

"Are you inspired to teach new generations of students in an antique shop style classroom, decked in a formal suit and top hat?"

"Sure. I mean, it's my dream job." He replied sarcastically. "I've always wanted to, 'fill the minds of future generations with knowledge and skills'."

"I could teach for you," I offered, a smile cracking my face.

"Ah yes, and everyone will be Communist, speak without articles and use super complicated language and formality."

"Well, isn't that what life is all about?" I asked, putting my earphones back in, but kept the volume lower than usual, to hear what America was saying. I didn't run this time, since I didn't know if the American could keep up. He stayed silent for some time, and then he asked a question that I was, again, surprised about.

"You know...I know your dad...and I was kind of wondering, is he like that to you?" He asked.

"Like what?"

"Mean. Angry. Frustrated." America listed the adjectives on his fingers, counting till he had more descriptions than fingers.

"Is your father always drinking tea, behaving like a king and patronizing?" I asked sarcastically.

"Actually...yes, he is," he sighed. "He's always like that. To other people and to me. I was just wondering if your dad yells at you like he tells at meetings."

"No. He doesn't yell at us, much," America smiled at that."He always wants the best for us, and protects us. He's a very good father."

"That's nice,"

"But you have other good things," I commented. "Like money. I don't have that. You also live with your mother and have a whole family. You can afford to do anything. At least, I've always thought so."

"Well, yeah, I guess you're right," he nodded in agreement. "You can't have everything."

"What you can try," I suggested as we walked up to the college gates. "Is to be a bit nicer. I mean, obedient-er. You know?"

"Fat chance." He pointed at himself. "My chances are as slim as I am wide. Land of the free won't bow down to anyone, especially his tea guzzling dad."

"Suit yourself." I fished my keycard out of my pocket and slid it into the little slot on the handle.

"Pine College?" America said as we entered the quiet courtyard. "Cool."

"Which one are you in?"

"I'm in Cedar. Cedar College. Yours looks better, though."

"Almost everyone has said that."

"I guess it's true then." He chuckled. "Are you doing anything now?"

"Yes, I'm waking my flatmate and we are going to eat." We ascended the steps to the second floor, where my flat was located. America kept looking around and pointing out what was different, better or worse, than in his college. We then come up to my room and knock on the door. Almost immediately, Iceland opens the door and is shocked.