Chapter 10: The Wolf and The Pelican

Start from the beginning

" Ginny…that's amazing."

" I know. I thought you would be the best one to talk to about this. James and Sirius would make a joke out of it. Peter…well, I don't think I could talk to Peter. And Sev's more Harry's friend than anybody else's. You're the sensible one, and I knew you would understand."

" Ginny, all I can say is that you need to get Harry out of this hole he has fallen into. From when I saw him, I recognised signs of depression setting in, as I've been there myself."

" But what can we do? He's suffered so much, and I think this may have pushed him over the edge…"

" It's not too late. I was like that when…"

" When what?" Ginny asked the fidgeting boy.

" When I...found out I…when I was bitten by a werewolf," Remus said, cringing back, waiting for her rejection. Ginny simply smiled and put her arm around his shoulders in a friendly hug.

" Remus, it's alright. I'm not scared. You're only a werewolf one night a month. And with Harry being half human now, I can't criticise."

" You don't hate me?" Remus asked in amazement.

" Of course not. You're my friend, and nothing will change that. I think you should talk to Harry, though."

" Me? Why me? What difference can I make."

" Every difference. You said it yourself. You've been through the same thing, and you've learned to live with it. You know Harry's history now, and you may just be able to get him to come around."

Remus looked at Ginny and saw the hope in her eyes. With a sigh, he nodded his head. Ginny beamed at him, and threw her arms around his neck and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Remus, blushing, changed the subject.

" So, did you meet me in the future?"

" Oh, yes. You were the best Defence Against the Dark Arts professor we ever had."

" Me?! A teacher?!"

" Yup, and you were marvelous. It was a shame you left after only one year."

" A teacher. Unbelievable."

The pair fell into a fit of giggling as Ginny told him stories of the future and the past, and all of the adventures she had shared.

The next day Remus, as promised, went to see Harry. He found the boy in the same state as the last time he saw him, and tentatively took a seat on the edge of his bed. Looking at his friend more closely, he noticed a deadness to his dull green eyes that had never been there before, and it frightened him.

" Hello, Harry."

No response.

" I have something I need to talk to you about. Do you think you could pay attention?"

Nothing.

" I need to talk to you about what you have become. Will you please look at me?"

A slow blinking of Harry's eyes.

" Ok, you need to snap out of it mate. I can't talk to you like this."

Utter stillness.

" You're not even listening are you?"

Not even the slightest movement.

" Ginny's pregnant with Lucius' child."

That got a response. Harry sat up so quickly that Remus nearly fell onto the floor. He could see his friend's eyes whipping around the room as he became more and more agitated. Finally, he spoke.