fourty-one • slow and steady

Start from the beginning

"Speak not of sin, Mr. Bridgerton," Marina bit back. "I did not come here to be shamed by you, nor anyone else." Her gaze met Daphne's, but Nola could not move her eyes from the fire place. "I did not know better. You may think me a villain, but I did what I thought I must," she expressed, "no one ever truly helped me, or guided me in a different direction." Nola's heart shattered, knowing exactly what Marina meant, "I had no choice. I needed to wed. And you, you were the only man who offered me a glimpse of happiness."

"So I should feel flattered, then?" Nola seethed at Colin's rebuttal, "consider myself lucky that you chose me, lied to me, tried to trick me into a fraud of a marriage?" He stepped up to the young woman. "I shall take my leave of you for the last time, Miss Thompson." He walked to the door, Daphne and Nola stood from their spots, assuming the meeting was over and their job was done. "You wish to know the cruelest part of your deception?" Colin began, "if you had simply come to me and told me of your situation... I would have married you without a second thought. That is how in love I believed myself to be, but I see now that was all a lie." Colin painfully walked out, slamming the door, leaving the three of us.

"I believe I would like to return home now." She choked, turning to the door. "After all, would not want another scandal attached to your family name."

•••

Everyone was expecting the girls attendance at the luncheon, but she needed to see Marina. Anthony watched as she prepared herself, confused as to where she was headed, if it wasn't with him. "I simply need to visit a friend." She stated, standing from the vanity.

"My dear, I must reiterate..." he sighed, "the queens luncheon."

"When another woman needs my help, that comes first Anthony. I shall be able to walk, it is not too far," he merely nodded, not about to argue with the woman further.

"Hey," he stopped her before she walked out the door, "I love you." She smiled, pressing her lips to his, then walking down to the front door, catching Colin pacing the living room.

"You'll make yourself dizzy," she laughed, watching amused from the base of the stairs.

"Where are you off to?" He questioned, looking up to her.

"Important business matters..."

His eyes narrowed, as he slowly nodded his head. "Nola, I never got to apologize..."

"Colin, we must never speak of it. Nothing happened. It's okay."

"I should've controlled myself-"

"You've repaid me by keeping my secret." He stopped trying to argue, "for that, I thank you."

"When do you plan on telling him?" He asked, "about the baby?"

"I don't know. Soon, I suppose?" He nodded, "but I really must be off." She wanted to get across the street before any of her family was to walk outside and see her at the Featheringtons 
front door.

Lady Featherington lead her through the bright halls, examining her closely. "I am so glad you thought to visit us, Lady Bridgerton, I fear your mother was rather heated, but of course, if you come to offer an explanation..." Nola sighed.

"I require a word with Miss Thompson..." she explained, "alone."

•••

"For what it is worth, I am sorry." Marina apologized, "Colin is a sweet boy,"

"You do not need to-" Nola inhaled sharply. "I came here to apologize to you."

Marina looked shocked, "to me?"

"I wanted to tell you that what you felt you had to do... I understand."

"I wish it had not happened this way," Nola could see tears brewing in the girls chocolate eyes.

"You are certainly not the only one." Nola confirmed.

Marina began to explain the life and personality of Sir George Crane and how she found herself to be pregnant.

All Nola could think to do was take George's information and pass it along to Daphne, who she knew could find answers. "He is at fault here..." Nola explained, "why should you have to pay for his crime?"

"You really think you can do this?" Marina breathed,

"I assure you, Miss Thompson, I am quite capable of doing much more than you think."