45. Sneaking Out For 'Morale'

Start from the beginning

"Definitely not."

"So Isabel, is the metal arm a cover for Bella Star? Or is it a real thing?"

"Um, it's real," I answered awkwardly. "Got a better question for me, Ned?"

"So I watched this youtube video that told me-"

"Okay, you know what, Ned? No!" I stopped him. "Just... let Peter out of the bathroom and give him back his phone."

"But I have so many questions!"

"Ask Peter then!" I ended the call despite Ned's sputters and fell back on the bed, my metal arm giving out a loud clunk as it hit the headrest. Liz gave me a pitying look from the opposite bed.

"Is Ned being obnoxious?" I let out a short laugh.

"Too inquisitive for my liking at the moment. So, swimming tonight?"

"I'll send out a group text on it."

____________________________________________________________

"This is so fun!" Betty whispered loudly to me excitedly as she ran down the hall to me, pulling Faith with her. The two wore casual clothes, but I could see the strings from their bathing suit tops sticking out faintly from their shirts. "I can't believe Liz is letting us do this!"

"I kind of can," Faith giggled. I could spot the rest of my classmates about ten feet behind her. "It's our first pool party at Decathlon! Are you excited Bella?"

"Can't wait," I nodded with a smile, but I felt so nervous that I was about to puke. I had forgotten that a pool party meant my scarred back would be exposed to everyone that would be there. I wasn't exactly thinking when I made my decision, and my swimsuit didn't exactly cover the damage that I had received from my battles.

Liz started leading the group of us down the narrow hallway to the pool when she ran into a hooded person. "Hey, Peter!" I pulled over to the side, allowing the rest of the chattering group to pass by me. Why was his backpack... oh, I hate him.

"H-hi, Liz," he stuttered nervously, pulling down his hoodie while looking at the group as they passed by. Betty, Faith, and Cindy gave him a friendly wave while Flash immaturely slapped him. "Hey!"

"We're all about to go swimming, you should come and join us!" she grinned. I ducked down and pulled farther out of view. I wanted to confront him about what I knew he had hidden in his bag, but I couldn't do it in front of Liz.

"I actually was going to study in the business center," Peter lied, but I could hear the nervousness in his voice.

"You don't need to. You're the smartest guy I've ever met," she gushed. Wait, did she like Peter? "And besides... a rebellious group activity the day before competition is good for morale." I leaned over slightly so I could see them converse. Peter tilted is head as Liz spoke to him, his hands in the pockets of his jeans. That head tilt... my god, I was jealous. How immature was I? "Well, I read that in a TED Talk, so- I- I heard it in a TED Talk. And I read a coaching book."

"You really- this is really important to you," Peter smiled softly, and I pulled back into my hiding spot. I really didn't need to talk to him about bringing his suit, did I? But it wasn't like I could just Apparate away. I hadn't been to the pool yet, and even if I had, it would already be full of my classmates.

"Yeah. It's our future," Liz pointed out. "I'm not gonna screw it up. Besides, Bella raided the minibar for us and these candy bars apparently were, like, eleven dollars." There was a crunch as she tossed Peter one of the bars I had given her to hold until we got to the pool. "So get your trunks on and meet us down there. Quietly, please. I don't wanna get kicked out."