Chapter 13 - Rose

Start from the beginning

Ethan thought it would be some kind of trick, that one day Cathellyn would kill him in the woods, not that she could overpower him but Cathellyn gestures and words are almost genuine to Ethan and now, only after a few months of meeting the girl, he wonders if he could live a day without thinking of her.

He looks to Cathellyn whose eyes are still on the sky. Her eyes glimmer with excitement and her mouth is still slightly open from the sight. Ethan smiles and he thanks his father in his thoughts for forcing him to learn about the Northern Lights.

He never seen them before too and though they are beautiful and radiant, the lady that is sitting next to him is so much more than the Northern Lights.

*********

I snap out of gazing into the sky when I feel a cloak drapes over my shoulder, giving me slight warmth and I look back over my shoulders to find Ethan behind me, adjusting the cloak. I whisper a thank you as I tug on the fabric. It's warm, yes, but I would much prefer Ethan's arms over this.

And as if he can read my mind, Ethan sits back down and takes my hand in his clutched ones. I suddenly feel a touch and weight of metal between our hands and I look to him in confusion as he pulls away, leaving something in my hand. He gives me a smile and I look down to the palm of my hand.

It's a locket. The vines that form the back of the locket is made out of white gold and in the middle of it is a beautiful purple rose, so radiant from the white back. It has no chain for me to loop around my neck and I wonder if I'm supposed to wear it or keep it to myself, only me and Ethan knowing about its existence. My fingers trembles as I brush the rose slowly and feel the gem that adorns it, fearing my filthy fingers will stain the beautiful jewelry.

My mouth opens and closes but no words come out. I look to him, too shocked to say anything and he smiles. He leans closer to me and I don't flinch away and instead keep my eyes on his green ones. " Happy birthday, Cathellyn, " he says with a soft voice and he grins.

I return his smile and look back to the locket. " It's beautiful, " I whisper.

" It's yours. You can wear them whenever you like. Sell it if you want to. "

My eyebrows furrow together as I bring my head to him. " Are you mad? This is too valuable to be sold. It's a gift from you. You can give me a piece of wood and I'd still be keeping it forever. " It's true. I can count the number of gifts I got with only one hand and I still keep every gift I got except for my first spear.

Gratitude shines in his eyes as he smiles. I clutch the locket in my hands and bring it to my chest, feeling it's the weight on my hand. Knowing that this is a gift from Ethan makes my heart blossoms and fills my head with giddy.

We stayed there for a long time, hours maybe, just talking and laughing before we can see the few streaks of orange in the sky, the Northern Lights going away. Ethan sighs and we both walk towards Snow. I stayed up all night and I don't even want to sleep. I want to stay longer here with Ethan but we both know better. He brings me back to the lake and on the ride back I keep the locket clutch in my hand, holding as if it's my life.

I sigh as it comes to me that the Winter Festival has ended and I have to wait another year for it. When we arrive at the lake, the sun is already rising and I curse myself for wearing a dress, knowing it will make it difficult to run. I sweep my legs off Snow and Ethan does the same.

I look to the trees, my heart aching at the thought of leaving the forest after a night like that. I look at Ethan. " Thank you. For tonight and for the locket. "

He looks me in the eye and takes my right hand. I let out a small smile, knowing this little gesture. He kisses my knuckles as if I'm a noble lady, his eyes never leaving mine and he whispers, " Your welcome, my lady. "

I let out a chuckle and as he lets go of my hand, I walk towards the trees and when I'm into it, I start to run, knowing anytime now Mother would wake up. My hand still grasps the locket. No, I won't sell it. Not now, not ever. This night bloomed something inside me. Maybe it's the Northern Lights, maybe it's the locket, maybe it's Ethan. Or maybe it's all of them. I don't know what it is but I do know that after all these years, I finally met someone that can bring me happiness and I never thought it would be the prince of Valaria. The sun has almost fully risen now and I quicken my pace, lifting my dress as I run towards the Outlands, the rose locket in my hand.

........................................................................

SO SORRY FOR NOT RELEASING A CHAPTER LAST WEEK. MY WHOLE BODY WAS HURTING SO BADLY AND THE NEXT THING I KNOW IS THAT IT'S MONDAY AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL.

So I made this chapter a little longer. Originally, Ethan was never going to Cathellyn the necklace and the Northern Lights are supposed to be like his gift to her but I thought again and found it unfitting. So the rose necklace is born

Again, I'm really sorry for the delay and I hope you enjoy this chapter and hit that follow and star button will ya?

Oh, yeah.. chapter 13 released on the Friday the 13th?!?!?!?! Coincidence? I think not! Just kidding it really is a coincidence.

BYE BYE