Chapter 13 - Rose

Start from the beginning

I slowly remove my hand and a gasp escapes from me as I savor the sight. I've seen the stars more times than I can count.

But this, this is different. The purple and black sky still drape and the stars still shine like diamonds but there, dancing along with the bejeweling stars and shines even brighter than it's friend, is a curtain of blue and green light. It moves along the sky like the waves in the sea, slowly and so graceful. My mouth opens at the sight. Ethan moves closer to me and looks to the sky with a smile. " They're the Northern Lights. Comes only a night every year. "

I do not talk back and instead, stare into the green waves in the night sky. The stars seem to increase today. Ethan walks towards a flat rock on the snow and slumps onto it. I follow, eyes never leaving the grand dance. The Northern Lights gives me a new feeling. I'm enchanted, yes, but it opens my heart. Never have I thought the dark night, which so many despises, can be this beautiful. I let out a sigh, white puff coming out of me as I sit next to Ethan on the flat rock, eyes following the waves in the night sky.

******

Ethan looks to her as she sits next to him, her eyes not leaving the sky and Ethan smiles. He made the right choice bringing her here today and he can't help to feel proud to make her this happy. Ever since he met Cathellyn his life changed. He had a purpose now. Every time the girl smiled, he does his best to let it stay.

Though at first, he could see the hesitation in Cathellyn's eyes, she opens to him slowly and Ethan cherished that he can make her forget her problems even for a while. Ever since he was born, Ethan never had the love he was supposed to have from his father. When the queen died, he was expected to die too. A babe can't live without their mother, they used to say. But Ethan did and proved them wrong.

Sure, he has Caspien and his brother would protect him with his life. But Ethan wants nothing of that. He wanted to prove to them that he is as good as his brother, that they are equals. Of course, Ethan convinced no one, not even his father that claims he loves both of his sons equally but Ethan couldn't remember the last time his father even smiled at him.

The king smiled a lot for his first born son, always so proud of his heir that will one day sit on the throne as he now does. Ethan winced at the thought of his brother sitting on the throne. Sure, Caspien is strong and he won the people's heart even before he was born but he is also reckless and uses his fists before his words.

The people seemed to love it though. They roared with cheers whenever Caspien rode and are more than willing to die for him. But never for Ethan. They instead whisper behind him, comparing him with his gallant brother and some even question if he really is the son of King Badgur or just some bastard. That, Caspien doesn't take very well.

He loves his little brother. Ethan shares the same blood that runs through his veins and that alone is enough for Caspien to lock the one that questions his brother's parentage for 3 months in the prison under the city.

Ethan doesn't care. He knows that their words mean nothing to him. The people would forever compare him to Caspien and Ethan learned that the hard way.

Ladies would throw themselves to Caspien's feet just to be his wife and Caspien would sometime find pleasure in their presence but he would eventually turn them away. Those ladies would then turn to Ethan, who just for fun, flat out declines them.

Ethan wonders if one day, just maybe, Cathellyn would meet Caspien and that Cathellyn is a lady, and is fit to marry the future king, would she fall in love with Caspien? Would she choose Caspien over him like so many others do? Ethan quickly shrugs it off. Cathellyn is different from the others.

Every people Ethan met, except for his brother, would want to be him, love him or kill him and when he first met Cathellyn, she almost did the last one but she didn't and instead offers to be his friend.