Chapter 2

Grian was beyond grateful he wasn't the only one on the server who knew of the Watchers. Even if Xisuma seemed to be more confused than concerned, it was still a massive relief that it wouldn't be left to him to explain everything. With enough luck, he wouldn't have to say anything at all on the topic. It wasn't like anyone knew he had a connection to the Watchers anyway.
He and Mumbo showed up to the server meeting a few minutes early. Xisuma had built a massive wooden platform in front of the bedrock, and it seemed that he had gotten Keralis to decorate it and add some seating. A few Hermits had arrived already and were making idle chatter from their seats, or stood examining the bedrock symbol and the sign that stood next to it.
Wait, a sign? Grian thought, Since when has there been a sign? The Watchers must have added it after everyone had left for the night. That wasn't good. A sign meant the Watchers wanted something. Hands shaking slightly, he stepped up to the group surrounding it.

Little Empire you steal, then you flee,
And now we demand back what does not belong to thee
Little Birdy, should you chose to fly home,
We will leave your precious "Hermilands" alone

"What do you think it could mean?" False asked quietly. She, Cleo, and Joe made up the crew examining the riddle.
"Well, obviously they are referring to one of us, but who would be considered an 'Empire'? Maybe they are after a group of people?" Cleo asked
"Well, Scar is mayor, but that's not really an 'empire'" Joe mused out loud. "Bdubs has that castle he's been working on, but that's not really an empire either. Maybe it's referring to Ren and that 'Renpire' thing he has got going on?"
"Hey Ren!" False waved the Hermit over, "You know anything about this?"
Ren examined the sign before shaking his head. "Nah dude, besides, I don't really fit the description' little birdy' anyway man." Grian had been quiet the whole time, too terrified to speak up. To him, what the Watchers wanted was painfully obvious. Before anyone could ask him his opinion, however, he was saved by Xisuma calling everyone to their seats.
"Hello everyone. We have gathered here today because of a certain bedrock structure that I am sure you have all seen by now." The admin started. Nods of agreement rippled through the crowd. "This impossibility right here is likely the work of the Watchers, powerful beings native to the end dimension. They mostly sit back and observe, but they will interfere with a world every now and then, but only if it is of benefit to them. The real question is, why the Hermitlands, and why now?"
Concerned murmurs rippled through the crowd, no one liking the idea of these 'Watchers' messing with their home. A few Hermits with more experience with the entities even told horror stories to those who had never heard of them. Eventually, Scar raised his voice above the others to ask "Aren't they more associated with those mask thingies though? I don't think I have ever heard of them being connected to a broken portal." A few others voiced their agreement with his statement.
"While many people associate them with the Watcher mask, the bedrock portal is their preferred symbol. It shows off their power or something, at least I think." Xisuma answered to the best of his ability.
"What about the sign?" Falce piped up, having been one of the Hermits more indeed in it. "It seemed like some sort of death threat."
"WHAT!?" screeched a very concerned sounding Bdubs. Doc grabbed his arm to calm him down, but a grand total of zero Hermits seemed comfortable with what False had said.
"Yeah, I saw that. We can deal with that in a second. The first step is to determine who or what it is they are after. If it's a Hermit, we need to protect them, but if it's an item, it is best we give it up and not cause a fight. You can not respawn from a death by Watcher." A hush fell over the crowd at the voidwalker's words. It took a minute for the new implications of the threat to sink in. No respawn. If you're dead, you're gone forever. Grian buried his head in his hands as the air grew thick with tension. It was clear in the eyes of every Hermit that this news flash wouldn't make them back down. They were going to risk their lives for a coward. He never should have come here, he should have gone somewhere else, where he wouldn' put anyone's lives at risk, but he was a fool.
"If anyone wishes to leave, you may do so now, and you will receive an invitation to join us in the next colony." X continued. Just as Grian feared, no one moved. "Good. If we want to move forward, we are going to need to find out what it is they want. The main clues given are 'little empire' and 'little birdy', which is not much to go off, but it's likely intended for one recipient, not all of us. Anyone have any ideas?" The rock hard tension in the air softened the slightest bit as the Hermits began discussing the riddle, coming up with theories and tossing them out just as quickly. Grain was half listening to Mumbo and Iskall debate whether Cub's status as a pharaoh classified his home as an 'empire' or not, but most of his energy was devoted to not letting his tears fall from his eyes. He must not have been doing a very good job, however, because Iskall noticed his strange behavior after only a few moments.
"Grian, you good man? You've been awful quiet all day."
"I- it's just-" He was choking on his own words, unable to get anything out. Gods, he felt like such an idiot. But the others deserve to know. As far as he was aware, no one even suspected it might be him the Watchers were after. Finally, he looked up and breathed, "It's me."
After a moment of confused silence, it was Mumbo who put it together. "Oh. Oh. Grian, you should have said something." The Hermit in question didn't respond. Until now, there was no point in speaking up, but if the Watchers were going to attack the Hermitlands, then he would do everything in his power to protect the others. He had never meant to put anyone else in danger, and while he may be a fool, he wasn't selfish enough to get everyone killed so he could avoid his past for a few more years. A plan already forming in his head, he rose from his seat. Everyone was staring at him now, which he ignored, and he walked over to where Xisuma was sitting.
"I lied earlier when I said my only experience with the Watchers was from a distance. They- It's me they are looking for. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for dragging you all into this, but I won't go back. Watchers draw power from other Watchers, and I hold a lot of that power. If I go back, they will literally eat me alive. If you want me to- want- want me to leave, then I will, but I won't go back to them. I'm so so sor-"
"No one is asking you to leave, Grian." The Voidwalker admin cut him off, "No one is asking you to go back to the Watchers either. I don't know what your connection with them is, but no one here is going to hurt you for it."
Deep down, the newest Hermit knew his admin was right. There was not a single person in the Hermitlands who would even think about judging him for his history with the Watchers, but that only made him feel worse. How could he stand to let these wonderful people he had made a life with risk theirs for his sake? If the Watchers came- No, when the Watchers came, someone would get hurt. Void, it was more than likely that at least one of them would die. Like Xisuma said, it's impossible to respawn from a Watcher attack.
Grian was about to say as much, but he never got the chance. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, ear wrenching static split the air, drowning out all other sounds. Just behind the hastily made meeting platform on which the Hermits stood, a glowing rip in reality, as bright as the moon, started to form. It grew and grew until it took the form of a winged entity, easily six blocks tall. Its body was a textureless pale gray color, and its face was covered by a similarly colored mask. Particles of purple magic swirled around it, and when it spoke, its voice was like one hundred people speaking at once.
"You hid well, little empire." Their voice boomed, causing those closest to it to flinch and cover their ears. They ignored the humans in front of them and floated right up to Grian, placing an oversized hand on his face as the thing cooed. "Come back to us, little empire. I know you missed our games." Grian spat in the creature's face, a burst of confidence filling him at the sight of the monster towering over his friends. The things' emotions were hidden by Their mask, but there was disdain in their voice as they said, "Very well, little empire. If you are so determined to resist your fate, just remember, what happens next is on you."
Throughout the whole ordeal, the other Hermits had stood still, shell shocked. However, the spell was lifted the instant the monstrous creature blinked seemingly out of existence with a soft *crack*, though Grian knew they had simply teleported to the Watcher domain, deep in the void.
"Was that a Watcher? That thing was terrifying, dude!" Ren exclaimed as soon as he found his voice again. Most of the others simply stood where they were, looking from Grian to the place the monster had been just moments ago and back again, mouths opening and closing in stunned silence.
Grian shook his head sadly at Rens question. "No, that was a Watchling, as smaller, less powerful Watcher the higher-ups use to do their dirty work, like a runt."
"Well how are we supposed to fight that? It didn't even look to be one hundred percent solid." Etho questioned. In all honesty, Grian knew they couldn't fight them. Even with the Hermits admittedly high-quality gear, they could hardly put a dent in beings. The Watchers would obliterate them with their magic and predict every move by seeing out of their opponents' eyes; a Watcher specialty. Grian remembered the training, being forced to take over the senses of another human to predict their every move in a fight, to find them no matter where they tried to hide. The ability was the Watchers' namesake, allowing them to spy on anyone, anywhere, no matter what.
"Well, I hope we figure it out pretty quickly," False said, staring up at the sky, "Because we have a bit of a problem inbound." Grian turned to see what it was she was talking about, and his heart skipped a beat when he did. For floating in the sky was not one, not two, but an entire army of full-sized Watchers.