six

When James and I went inside, people were dancing and everyone else surrounded them. I walked over to stand in between my mother and Francis, and he stands on the other side of the dance floor ready so that when the next song comes on he will ask me to dance.

We heard the song come on and James walked over to me, he stood in front of us and asked "Miss Haywood, would you do the honour of dancing with me tonight." Mrs Haywood's eyes lit up at the thought and she answered for me. "She would absolutely love to Mr Penbrooke." She answered.

I took his hand when beat dropped and he guided me towards the dance floor. Standing opposite each other we bowed and he slid his arm around my waist and stretched my right arm out wards. I placed my hand on his shoulder before he guided me to the first move of the dance. It was a waltz which meant we went round in a circle sort of skipping in a way.

"Look into my eyes." James whispered staring at me. "Pardon?" I replied. "Look me in the eyes, so it would seem we are enjoying ourselves." He added. I put my hand more comfortably on his shoulder blade and then directed my eyeline to meet his.

His eyes were a light brown, slightly hazel and his brown hair sat loosely on the top of his head. Looking into his eyes made everything feel like it was in slow motion, the chatter felt like it completely vanished and the music became clearer and louder in my mind. A small smile played on his lips and I replied with a smile on mine as well.

"I understand what you meant about your mother being overly eager to find you a husband. I was rather impressed with how quickly she replied to a question I asked you." He said breaking the silence and bringing me out of my daze. I hung my head down and laughed from an awkward embarrassment he laughed with me. I hadn't seen him smile before, and it surprised me that he was capable of doing such a thing. "Yes, I think she gets more excited about finding love for me than finding it for herself." I worried looking over at her laughing so the Francis.

I did worry about Mrs Haywood's happiness as I might my own mother if she was so lonely. I suppose it has only been 6 months since her true love died, there's no rush for her, but I know Francis, Ambrose and Matthew also notice how sad she can be and they try their best to keep her proper company.

"I do have to say though, my mother was very proud of me when I said that I was going to ask a Haywood to dance with me" he added, trying to lift my spirits. "well i suppose if our parents approve of this dance, we are the perfect pretend match" i told him smiling. "i'd have to agree with you there Miss Haywood" he replied bowing to end the dance.

He walked me over to Mrs Haywood and Francis and i turned to join them again. "thank you for one of the most enjoyable dances ive ever had Miss Haywood" he complimented. "i think she can say the feeling was mutual your grace." Mrs Haywood interrupted before i could say anything. "yes, mother she CAN say." i grumbled looking up at her to show my frustration just like i would at my own mother. James smiled at me before leaving to join his own mother on the other side of the ballroom.

James's pov:

i didnt lie when i told Mrs Haywood when i said that that was one of the most enjoyable dances id ever had, ive never been able to dance with Letitia and all the other women ive ever danced with have always had the most awkward conversations and the worst breath. i went back to my mother who was holding a glass of wine beckoning me to join her.

"she seemed lovely James, Haywood women are always the most beautiful and Penbrooke men are always the most handsome. Well, actually Haywood men are also quite handsome, but think of the wonderful children you would have." she assumed. "Mother, please we've hardly ever spoken to eachother and i thought she looked rather handsome tonight, so i asked her to dance." i replied trying to prevent anymore futuristic thoughts about Diana and I in her head. "so you agree? you think she's beautiful?" she asked confidently. I looked sown at her as i was considerably taller and then back up to look at Diana laughing with her brothers. i paused and let out a heavy sigh.

"of course she is mother... any fool would say the same" i blurted still looking at her.

Diana was beautiful, but that didn't mean i felt anything more than an friend for her. As much as i wish i could love someone like her, a Haywood, and my parents would approve of our marriage and children, there was never going to be anyone like Letitia, no matter how hard i tried to love someone else. 

Diana's pov:

i had high hopes for this arrangement between james and i, it would be a good distraction for him. But now i think about it, i know how to get home. I dont need to answer a riddle or sacrifice a sheep for god's sake, all i need to do is have a reason to go home. i do though, i do have a reason to go home yet something is still keeping me here. I'm not sure why i was really even brought here in the first place - WHAT DO I HAVE HERE THAT I DONT HAVE IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

yes, maybe i dont have any close friends or a boyfriend or things i really want, but i do have a family. A family that i love with all my heart, a little sister i need to look after when my mum works late and a dad i need to play football with behind the pub on Sundays. I HAVE A FAMILY! that's enough of a reason, is it not?

Once we were at home it was late so mother took Matilda to get ready for bed. Francis, Ambrose, Matthew and i went into the parlour. i sat down on the couch thinking about my stupid time travelling thoughts but must have noticed my frustration as he came and sat next to me.

"i know that expression." he stated. I lay my head on his shoulder "go on then, amuse me, what does it mean?" i replied. "It means, Diana, that you're frustrated because you dont understand how something works." he said confidently. i shot up and and frowned surprised at how accurate that was, as i was just expecting a 'youre annoyed' or a 'youre angry' not a full bloody analysis. "how in God's name did you guess that." i asked. "I'm observant and your my sister. It's when you squint your eyes slightly and look to the left mainly at the floor. Your arms are crossed  and instead of sitting down you slouch" he added getting up to assemble a fire.

I sat up straight and unfloded my arms trying not to let Matthew notice. One thing i still didn't understand is how they seem to have grown up with me their whole lives, hasn't my personality changed suddenly in the few days ive been here? do i not seem different at all to them? Before i got here the tour guide said that there were 7 people in the family so that must have included me.

But how did i get here, before i got here?

---------------------------------

sorry for the shorter chapter, i just thought that it was a good way to end it haha <3