Chapter 6

Unfortunately, Malfoy was not incorrect. What she read was incredibly interesting and by the time she finished, she had more questions than before. However, that did not remove the fact that Malfoy ran an organisation most of the international community wanted destroyed. It did explain the situation with the vault a little more, though.

"I'll allow three questions," Malfoy said when he saw that she had finished.

"You'll allow it? You'll answer all my questions if you don't want me to turn you in," Hermione threatened. Malfoy rolled his eyes and settled further into his chair, waving for her to begin. "Why did you even start something like this?"

"That is a very big question, Granger," Malfoy said, pointing at her accusingly. Hermione just folded her hands and waited. Dropping his head back, Malfoy groaned. "Merlin's beard, I should have made Blaise do this."

"Zabini is—" Hermione cut herself off before she could get too riled up. "Of course he is," she sighed. "We'll come back to that. Answer my question."

"The Ministry didn't catch all those involved with the Dark Lord during the War," Malfoy told her. Hermione frowned and he smirked, aware he had her attention. "I've managed to get my hands on some very private journals and correspondence records detailing where they went off to, though, and Syndicate takes care of it."

He was being unhelpfully vague, but Hermione supposed that was expected. There was also the fact that Malfoy had never been particularly forthcoming when it came to giving a response and a resulting argument had been one of the reasons they'd gotten detention during their last year at Hogwarts.

"Alright, say I believe Syndicate is actually helping the Ministry," Hermione said, not sure whether she believed him or not. "What you've been doing is incredibly illegal and most of Europe currently has you held responsible for many unexplained murders."

"I don't kill them myself, Granger. Merlin," Malfoy snorted. Hermione frowned and he shook his head. "I have others that do that. All that matters is that we've been working on the Ministry's side and if you did even the slightest research, you'd discover that every wizard Syndicate marked and killed was mentioned in at least one Death Eater testimony."

Hermione's frown deepened and Malfoy held up a hand.

"Most of them," he corrected. Hermione rolled her eyes and Malfoy followed suit. "Honestly, Granger, I'm not a criminal."

"I don't make the laws, Malfoy," she reminded him. Malfoy nodded in agreement and Hermione sighed, glancing back down at one of the records in her lap. "I'll let it slide for now," she conceded, already feeling guilty about it. "However, I do have some conditions."

"Unsurprising," Malfoy grunted, crossing his arms.

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him and he motioned for her to continue.

"First thing: while I'm conducting the investigation on your vault, you'll refrain from performing any and all illegal activities," Hermione said. Malfoy blanched and Hermione nodded smugly. "That means no killing or whatever else your little Syndicate does."

"That's impossible, Granger," Malfoy argued. Hermione looked at him innocently and he scowled. "Who knows how long the investigation will take? I can't put Syndicate on standby because your little conscience can't handle it."

"Then I'll quit your case and turn you in to the Ministry," Hermione replied. Malfoy's scowl darkened and Hermione glared in response. "I should turn you in immediately, but I'm not going to. Work with me at least a little."

"Fine," Malfoy conceded irritatedly. "But just to be clear, you're only limiting me, right? The rest of Syndicate can continue as normal?"

"You will have no part—whether directly or indirectly—in the illegal activities of Syndicate," Hermione clarified. If she worked on his case knowing that Malfoy could be participating in illegal activities right under her nose, she doubted she'd be able to think about anything else.

"I, personally, will not perform any illegal activities or equivalent actions as part of Syndicate."

Hermione groaned and glared fiercely at him.

"I can't just stop this overnight, Granger!" Malfoy exclaimed, throwing his hands up. "I can promise I will refrain from any Syndicate missions myself, but I can't—and won't—speak for the others."

Hermione pursed her lips and hesitated. He wasn't being unreasonable, much to Hermione's chagrin. If Syndicate was as large as the Ministry and the rest of the international community thought it was, then there was no way Malfoy could shut it all down in just a day.

"Fine," she agreed shortly. Malfoy nodded and that brought her to her next condition. "The second thing you might like even less."

Malfoy rolled his eyes, but Hermione didn't let him think about what it could be for more than a second.

"Since I am conducting an investigation directly involving you and your vault, I'll need you to provide me with the necessary information when I ask for it," she said. Malfoy opened his mouth to protest, but Hermione shut him down quickly. "We will get nowhere without your cooperation and the way I see it, I shouldn't have to make this a condition at all. Agree."

Malfoy scowled at the command but agreed.

"Just send an owl and don't use the portkey," he said. Hermione nodded. She had no intention of using the portkey ever again if she had any say in the matter. "Is that all?"

After pausing to think for a second, Hermione nodded.

"Good. Then go away," he said. Hermione frowned.

"I can't," she said. Waving her hand toward the ceiling, she said, "Anti-apparation wards."

Malfoy stared at her for a few seconds before snorting. He poorly hid a laugh and shook his head at her. Feeling like she was being mocked for something, Hermione frowned.

"There aren't—Merlin, Granger," he said, snorting partway through his sentence. "There aren't any anti-apparation wards."

"What? But I thought—'' she cut herself off when Malfoy laughed once more. "You don't have anti-apparation wards set up?"

Malfoy shook his head and with a grin, he said, "How do you think we get in, Granger?"

"With the portkey!" she exclaimed. Malfoy howled in laughter and Hermione scowled.

She stood abruptly from her chair and pulled out her wand. If he was going to laugh at her uselessly, then she'd leave.

"I'll send an owl," she told him curtly. Malfoy just snickered and the last thing she saw before returning to her office was his smirking face.