Chapter 13

Hermione had never really met Daphne Greengrass-Nott, so she wasn't sure what to expect. Any expectations were sure to be thrown out the window, however, because as soon as Hermione and Malfoy arrived at his Syndicate headquarters, Daphne started talking faster than Hermione could keep up with. She'd hardly spared either of them a glance before pointing to the two chairs opposite Malfoy's desk and Hermione found herself sitting down.

"—lovely to see you by the way, Hermione—" was all Daphne said to her as she rattled off instructions to Malfoy.

Hermione sat wide eyed as she watched Daphne rummage through Malfoy's desk like it was her own. Her wand was stuck through her hair, but Daphne was able to perform magic just as easily as ever and sent file after file onto Malfoy's lap as she spoke. It was something about finding Flint somewhere north but when it became clear to Hermione whatever she was talking about was not legal, she tried not to pay attention.

"Daphne, you've lost poor Granger," Malfoy said, smacking Hermione's arm and receiving a glare in return.

"I'm trying not to let my head fill with things that could get you both arrested if examined by an Unspeakable," she snapped. Daphne paused her rampant speech and looked at her curiously.

"You don't know Occlumency?" she asked. Hermione shook her head. "Oh, well that's certainly strange. Draco can teach you, I'm sure." She waved her hand and said, "You don't have much part to play in this anyway, Hermione. As long as you can agree to back up whatever Draco says, we'll be right, fine and dandy."

"And if he lies?" Hermione asked.

"I'll expect you to agree nonetheless," Daphne said, not even batting an eye.

"She has a problem with lying," Malfoy informed Daphne. Hermione scowled.

"I do not," she denied. "I just don't think that criminals should get away with it."

"I'm a criminal now?"

"You're both criminals just for sitting here," Daphne interrupted before Hermione could bite back. "Now shush, the both of you."

They did as they were told.

When Daphne finally let Hermione go, she still wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen when Malfoy came to the Ministry later. She expected Flint and she knew it'd have something to do with tying Ron's case to Malfoy's case, but until Malfoy came stumbling into the aurors' office with what Hermione could only assume was a fake wound, she was clueless.

At all the ruckus outside her office, Hermione stepped out to see what was happening only to find Malfoy grasping his side and muttering about being attacked in the Manor. She hesitated for a second before joining his side as Harry attempted to make sense of it all.

"What's he going on about, Hermione?" Harry asked, letting Hermione take the place beside Malfoy and help him stand.

"Flint—He got through the wards—Dunno how," Malfoy muttered incoherently. Hermione wrapped his arm around her shoulders and glanced at Harry as more aurors started to surround him.

"Get him to St. Mungo's," Harry told her quietly. "Figure out what happened."

Hermione nodded and hobbled with Malfoy at her side to the Floo. They walked into the front office at St. Mungo's and before Hermione could call for someone or ask Malfoy what was going on, a healer was at their side.

"Bring him here, Auror Granger," the healer said. She hastily ushered Hermione and Malfoy into a separate room and closed the door.

As soon as the drapes were drawn, Malfoy righted himself and nodded at the healer.