#61: A Game Of Billiards

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, his mind clicks.

He has an idea.

He smirks and jumps up onto the table, putting the stick behind his back, hitting the cue in said challenging position. His target sinks into one of the pockets, and he jumps off from the table and licks his lips in satisfaction. He then glances over at Dazai.

"How was that?"

He asks far too innocently.

Dazai is caught off his game.

"That was...a-amazing."

"Why, thank you."

He leans forward until he and Dazai are mere millimeters apart.

"Perhaps I shouldn't do too many tricks, though. I need to save some surprises for you for later, now don't I?"

Dazai's jaw drops and Chuuya laughs.

"What's the matter, mon cheri? Bandages in a bunch?"

Dazai sputters.

"Y'know, Dazai, maybe after I finish up here, I could teach you some stuff."

Dazai looks up at him and swallows. "About billiards?"

"Yes. I think I should demonstrate how to wield the stick just right."

Dazai feels heat localize in his face, but refuses to crack. "Mhm?"

"And maybe then, you could show me what you learned."

Dazai smirks. "That so?"

"It is so."

The brunette stands and stretches. "Well, I'd be delighted to show you how well I could do. And, maybe, if I do it well enough, we could...play once again?"

Chuuya whips his head back as he spins the stick in his hand. "I'd be delighted to. But, let me finish this game first, yeah?"

"I don't think I can."

"And why not?"

Dazai comes closer to the redhead until they are close to touching. "Because I think I want to play with you now~"

Chuuya's face flushes. "O-oh really now?"

"Indeed. Watching you handle that beautiful piece of wood, I don't think I could wait~"

Chuuya shudders. "Well, doesn't the waiting make it better? Why rush for the denouement so soon? The rising action has just begun."

Dazai steps back. "I suppose you may be right. Now, my shining star, finish your game of billiards and make me proud."

"I will."

Chuuya slowly leans over the table and strikes the cue again, almost dropping his stick when he hears a throat clearing, followed by a cough.

Both he and Dazai look up to see Akutagawa at the other end of the table.

"Do you two really think I couldn't hear any of that?"

He stares at them, piercing.

Dazai paints his typical smile on his face. "Ah, Akutagawa-kun! We were just talking about playing billiards later."

"Uh-huh."

In disbelief, the raven-haired boy tilts his head to the side.

"I'm not an ignorant teenager anymore. You could play these games when you were Double Black, but not now."

Dazai's smile darkens as he tilts his head down, causing Akutagawa to tense up.

"I expect you won't say a word to Kunikida-kun, yeah? You know I will never hear the end of it if he learns. And neither will you."

Akutagawa does not speak.

The darkness in Dazai's eyes disappears instantly, and his bubbly tone returns. "And if you do me that favor, I'll be sure to praise you~"

On that note, Akutagawa nods and speedwalks away from the two of them. Dazai whips his head back in victory. He's so easy, he thinks.

He turns around to see Chuuya eyeing him, biting his lip. The look in his eyes is more salacious than Dazai thought the redhead was capable of.

Chuuya walks closer to Dazai until they are pressed together. The billiard stick falls from his grasp.

"You know, you were a real asshole on that last part, manipulating Akutagawa like that."

Dazai smirks. "Really?"

"Really. But...the way you suddenly became so chilling was...oddly pleasant on my eyes."

Dazai gives Chuuya a predatory grin, the one he seemed to like. "You think so?"

Chuuya puts a hand against the taller man's chest. "I know so. After that, I...don't think I can get through the rest of this game."

Dazai cups Chuuya's face. "Ah, but didn't you say the rising action is only beginning? I think you should finish this up, Chuuya. Why jump to the end immediately, when we can naturally get there and savor it, hm?"

Chuuya steps hard on his pool stick, sending it up into the air, and catches it in his hand.

"Then I will."

"Sounds good to me, mon petit."

Dazai steps back and picks up his chair, sitting back down, and fixes his eyes on Chuuya as he leans over the table to strike the cue.

Chuuya straightens his back and stares at the table, still.

Dazai smirks again. "You're thinking about how satisfying that feeling of hitting the cue was."

Chuuya does not acknowledge. But he does not have to.

"Now you're thinking about what's gonna happen after you hit it again and sink the last ball."

Chuuya tightens the grip on the stick, but remains still.

"And you wish that we could just be back at your place and have our little game right now instead of waiting to sink the ball."

Chuuya's face heats up as he leans over the table and strikes the cue, sinking the final ball, as Dazai had said.

He turns and looks at him. "Stop talking."

Dazai puts a finger to his lip. "As you wish, my knight."

Their game didn't require Dazai to talk, anyway.