Chapter 2: always read the fine print

I look up at the building towering before me. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The building was surrounded by a tall brick fence only broken at the front where there was an equally tall wrought iron gate. The architecture was gorgeous, you knew it was a prestigious school just by looking at it. The main pillar was brick all the way up adorned with the school's emblem. At about halfway up the building the brick stopped and glass took its place. The windows seemed to sparkle in the sunlight like that of an endless ocean. It was quite mesmerizing. I would've killed to attend this place.

Passing through the gates, you saw the beautifully tended greenery framing the institution. I smiled a bit with excitement. I made my way up to the glass door and met my eyes with the pin pad on the frame. Monokuma had messaged me earlier in the day with the code to get in. With little hesitation I input the code.

"11252010"  With each button pressed it made a little beep and after the last digit was entered it played a little jingle and the door clicked open. The door was a little heavy but it pulled open with ease. The room before me was massive and it felt out of my league, even being an ultimate. The floor was lined with clean, shiny tiles, and the room itself was adorned with plush furniture and intricate art and light fixtures. Though, seeing a place like this empty was a little unnerving. Maybe it was just the nerves catching up to me, but the vibe the room gave off was odd. It felt like one of those liminal space images you'd see circulating the internet.

I continued wandering around absorbing every little detail like a sponge, making a mental note of all of it. Like, despite being a school, this place looks to have been untouched for some time. Maybe the janitors just forgot to dust? I actually lost track of time taking in the details. I supposed that's to be expected from the Ultimate Forensic Scientist, you have to be detail-oriented.

I was caught by surprise when I heard a scratchy, yet higher pitched voice holler, "Hey!" I jump and look towards the voice. There stood a man who was around the same height as me. Maybe a smidge taller than me.. I couldn't really tell. Aside from his height, he was a wider, rounder man with pale skin and eyes hidden behind mirrored sunglasses. One of the lenses (his right side) was a dark circle and the other was tinted red and cut in some sort of three pointed jagged red shape. His outfit consisted of a two toned suit and tie, a vest, nice slacks, and heeled dress shoes. The man also wore a black glove on his left hand with spikes protruding from each knuckle. His hair was cut short on the sides but longer on the top, parted to the side, and dyed to match the rest of his outfit. Man was a walking yin and yang. Well.. He certainly is eccentric.

"Didn't your mother teach you it was rude to stare?", he said with a tinge of annoyance in his voice and an irritated expression to match it.

"OH! Apologies!!", I gave a curt bow before timidly returning my gaze to the man. "You must be Monokuma right?", I ask hopefully, because I'm not ready for any more embarrassment.

The man's demeanor changed in an instant, his scowl quickly changing to a wide smile. You wouldn't say it was genuine by any means but it didn't seem forced per se.. Something about it screamed bastard, and frankly I was intrigued.

"In the flesh~!", he spoke. Thank god, I thought.

"Awesome! I'm (Y/n) (L/n). Thoughhhhh I'm sure you already knew that,," I say sheepishly and rub at the back of my neck.

"I know who ya are M(/x) (L/n). With the right eyes the ultimate forensic scientist isn't hard to miss~ C'mon let's take this to the office." I nod and follow Monokuma's lead.

We made it up to Monokuma's office after several flights of stairs. You would've thought such an advanced school would have elevators, but alas. Here I was fighting to catch my breath. The entrance to his office was more intimidating than that of the school's, if I'm being honest.

Once inside, I sat down at Monokuma's desk on the side opposite from him. I shifted awkwardly in my seat from the nerves. I kept glancing around at whatever I could. Along the walls were bookshelves and a trophy case. I avoided looking at the portraits that hung just above the shelves as I felt like I was being judged by a council. My attention reverted towards Monokuma as he plopped down in his seat. He did a once over the packet he was holding then slid it across the desk. I picked it up and scanned it over.

"So M(/x). (L/n), this job requires you to write a quick report determining the cause and mechanism of the victim's death, as well as the time and whatever other details you find necessary. The purpose is to help students solve the crime and come to the conclusion during a mock trial, so don't write anything that'll give it away. Ya think you can do that??"

I give a curt nod.

"You'd better," he said under his breath before he spoke up again, "Ok fill out yer paperwork and we'll go from there." Monokuma kicked his feet up onto the table and rested his head on his hand. He gave a smug smirk as I grabbed the pen and clipboard.

The paperwork consisted of basic information that I only sped through. At the very end there was a contract of sorts that I only skimmed through and signed and printed my name at the bottom. When finished I looked up at the man. He must've noticed because he resituated himself to his previous position and snatched the clipboard from me.

He did not give my packet a second glance as he tossed it over his shoulder and it fell with a deafening crash. Monokuma remained unfazed. "Congrats M(/x). (L/n) you got the job!~", he proclaimed.

Questions swirled around my brain. "W-Really?! I mean there weren't any interview questions or anything?? Hell you didn't even look at my paperwork!"

"Geez do ya need me to spell it out for you? Y-O-U-R-E H-I–"

"Nonononononono;; That won't be necessary.. So when do I start?"

"ASAP. Your orientation is tomorrow. I suggest you start packing your belongings too."

"Packing?"

"Forensic Scientists work odd hours right? So instead of commuting, you're just gonna stay here. I mean, did you even read the contract (Y/n)?" Monokuma leaned forward, head again resting on his hand. His words sent a shiver down my spine.

What have I gotten myself into?

##################

Edited: 10/25/22 Republished 12/20/22 (guys i forgor)

A/n: uh hi! Monokuma design is by instagram user _indignant_ I love her art sm bro,, and her kuma design? Chefs kiss. Nywayz uh,, Erin if you happen to see this,, hope u don't mind lmao

Also here is the bastard (in case u wanna see but don't feel like leaving)👉👈

(he is a FAT, MIDDLE AGED, GROSS man. NOT some skinny teenage twink smh 🙄)

and honestly? i started writing him as a bear but past me got embarrassed.