Chapter One: The Return of Penelope Park

Penelope Park breathes deeply to calm herself before she knocks on Alaric's office door. She knows the man probably in not too pleased with her for breaking his daughter's heart. Caroline found Penelope at the witch's school. The raven haired girl was miserable without Josie, having broken up with her to help her grow stronger so she would survive the merge.

Caroline, knowing her daughter was miserable as well, convinced the witch to travel back to Mystic Falls with her. So here Penelope is, standing outside her old headmaster's office, about to beg him to let her come back to the school that she left, breaking his daughter's heart in the process. She takes one more deep breathe before knocking on the oak door.

"Come in," Alaric calls.

"Hello, Dr. Saltzman," Penelope says, entering the office.

"Penelope. My wife called and told me you would be arriving at the school," Alaric replies.

"Yes. I... I love your daughter, sir. So much. I only broke up with her so she would be stronger and stand a chance at surviving the merge," Penelope explains.

"I know that, and Josie soon will too. Caroline and I have decided to tell her and Lizzie about the merge so they can help us stop it. Your old room is still available, so you will sleep there. I have enrolled you in all your old classes as well. Go get settled in. Caroline and I plan to talk to the twins tonight. You can talk to Josie afterwards, as I'm sure once she understands why you did what you did she'll want to see you," Alaric instructs.

"Okay. Thank you sir," Penelope says, exiting his office.

She heads to her old room and begins to put her clothes away when there's a knock at the door.

"Hey there Peez. Look who's back," MG smirks at his old friend.

"MG! Hey man. Yeah, I'm back. For good this time," Penelope smiles at the vampire.

"Good, good. I'll let you get settled in. See ya later, " MG says, bidding the witch goodbye.

"Bye MG," Penelope replies.

She continues to put her stuff back in order. Once she has finished, she attempts to listen to music to relax, but she can't focus on it. All she can think about is Josie, whom she hopes will soon be in her arms once more.

******

Penelope paces the hallway in front of the twin's room. Hope, who she has learned is dating Lizzie, sits against the wall.

"Park, would you stop pacing?" Hope sighs.

"Sorry. Just nervous," Penelope replies, sitting down beside Hope.

"Look, Penelope. I've never liked you much. You broke Josie's heart. But our girl's lives are at risk, so we need to work together to find a way to start this dam merge so we don't loose them. So I say we try to get along the at very least, maybe even become friends," Hope proposes.

"Sounds good. I'll help find a way to stop it even if Josie doesn't want me back. I will always love her," Penelope agrees.

"She's dated some people since you left, but she always broke it off with them. She always told me that they just weren't you. She'll take you back once she understands why you did what you did," Hope explains.

"I hope so, Mikaelson. I really do," Penelope sighs.

The pair sit in silence, waiting. Soon, the door to the twins' room creeps open and Alaric, Caroline, and Lizzie come out. Hope jumps to her feet at the sight of her girlfriend's red eyes, which signify that she has been crying. The auburn haired girl opens her arms and Lizzie rushes into them, resting her head on Hope's shoulder.

"I don't want to die, Hopey, but I don't want Josie to die either," Lizzie murmurs against her girlfriend's chest.

"We're going to find a way to stop it, baby. We won't stop looking until we do," Hope promises, kissing the blonde's head.

"Penelope," Caroline says, causing the witch to look up at the women.

"Yes?" Penelope asks, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

"She's asking for you," Caroline informs the witch.

Penelope stands up nervously. Lizzie, who is still wrapped in Hope's arms, looks over at the witch.

"Go talk to her, Satan. I don't know what she sees in you, but she's been miserable without you. So go talk to her and make things right. But if you hurt her again, I'll kill you," Lizzie says casually.

"Noted," Penelope says, smiling slightly.

She never thought Lizzie Saltzman, who has hated her since day one, would be the one to encourage her to go talk to Josie. Penelope takes a deep breathe, and enters the twin's room, shutting the door behind her.