A Beautiful Cage

TWs; kidnapping, sexual situations, non-consensual use of narcotics, dub-con, mentions of terrorism and terrorist activity, violence, death.

Kylo (Several Hours Before)

"They're using the feds as their flying monkeys now." Kylo muttered as he scrolled through the information their team of hackers had just emailed him, detailing what they were able to ascertain after days of research and dodging the traps being set for them in cyber space. They'd planned for this months ago, knowing that the rodents who comprised Spearhead - the group of terrorists posing as an investment conglomerate - would eventually get wise to his plans and do something to stop him. Kylo wasn't one of their lackeys. There wasn't a single thing on the planet they could bribe him with to pull him into their orbit; the only thing he wanted from them were each and every one of their heads on a pike.

Much like the feds, they'd had trouble figuring out who he and the Knights even were. It was the reason why their business was so successful; in most systems and countries they simply didn't exist. All of them had long ago shed their original identities; who they once were had either been recorded as dead, MIA, or simply too far off the grid to be found. It took a considerable amount of time, money, and effort to arrange and maintain the secrecy, but the advantages to being an unknown in their world were limitless.

And Spearhead knew it.

When they first comprised the list of everyone responsible for the Amsterdam bombing and began eliminating the most accessible names Kylo doubted they even noticed. The lower level people they pulled in for the grunt work couldn't have been high on anyone's priority list. But the higher up the list they went the more the risk that Spearhead would begin to realize the trend. From what they could tell, the Montana job had been the straw that broke the camel's back.

They hadn't left behind any incriminating evidence, they knew better than that. But crimes of such a grisly nature seldom took place in the remote hills of the small town Ranson had lived in. It sent shockwaves first across the state and then further across the country, people asking how such a heinous thing could have happened to an 'innocent man' and his staff. Their best guess at this point was that Spearhead got word of the story thanks to their connections to Ranson's resources and they began to follow the breadcrumbs from there until they realized that nearly 70% of the individuals who could be linked to the attack were dead - all in spectacularly unusual ways - and most that remained were those in hiding that Spearhead had been keeping protected since before the bombing even took place.

Thanks to their connections and resources they'd apparently been able to dig up some old audio from the security equipment inside the manor when the police were cleaning up the bodies and scratching their heads. Somehow Ranson had been able to figure out a few things; most notably Kylo's last name. He'd nearly put his fist through the wall when he played the recording the hackers sent him.

For a spineless worm, Ranson had been resourceful. He could allow him that much.

Though the name still meant little to the authorities and the feds alike, it had been far more helpful to Spearhead. Somehow they'd managed to do just enough tracking and pull just enough obscure footage from traffic cameras that they were able to narrow down their location within 50 miles.

Had it just been Kylo and the Knights he wouldn't have given it much of a second thought. After all, Spearhead weren't the first to come after them. It was an occupational hazard when you made a career of taking life; there would always be someone looking for vengeance. Under normal circumstances they would plan, prepare, and fight their way through it before disappearing off the map again.