Chapter 2: Déja Vu

"7...8...9...10! Ready or not, here I come!" I hear her faint voice from my hiding spot; the alley way dumpster.
I'm surrounded by what looks like about a weeks worth of rotting food. I inhale and exhale slowly. It doesn't take long for me to choke up and gag as my nose takes in the over whelming scent of old greasy take-out.

The foot steps get louder, my heart pounds so loud it almost blocks out the sound of Carleigh's thick souled boots clapping against the roughly paved ground. My hands make their way up to my mouth pressing firmly against my lips to ensure that I don't make even the slightest noise.

I hear Carleigh shout, "Hint please!". She sounds pretty far away. I take a deep breath, half shout, "Ey oh!" and quickly bury myself in garbage. The foot steps get louder and I brace myself for the sun rays of light that creep into the opening dumpster thus exposing me from my hiding spot. It opens all the way and I ready myself for Carleigh's face peeking into the dumpster, but ten silent seconds pass and I see no sign of my best friend.

Finally I hear more foot steps, but something's wrong. It sounds like Carleigh's running away.

I launch myself up with arms wide open and shout, "Boo! Tricked ya, Leigh. I was in here all-"
I'm interrupted by the sight of my best friend bleeding out just a few feet away from the dumpster I'm standing in. I scurry out, screaming for help. I whip my head around desperately looking for a way out of this alley when a dark, muscular arm raps around my waist and a hand violently cups my mouth, preventing any noises from escaping.
"Found you." The man growls in my ear. His hot breath hits my neck causing chills to run down my spine. One giant hand grabs a firm hold on both of my minuscule wrists. He then bends over and reaches for my legs. With out thinking, I knee him hard in the face. He moans and let's go of my wrists dropping to his knees.
"Sick, child!" He cries, hold his face with both hands. He looks up and we come eye to eye but contact is quickly broken as I'm now running for my life. I run past the dumpsters and slow down when I reach Carleigh's corps.
"I'll come back for you, Leigh. I promise." I say, and continue racing out of the alley.

I see the glint of street lights and I here car engines roaring from afar. Im close.

I slow down the pace to a light jog when the footsteps sound again. I turn around in time to see the man. His face is masked. He's wearing a loose, black sweater and blue jeans. His body is so muscular, it reminds me of one of the guys from that wrestling show I used to watch at uncle Jordan's house. He's charging towards me. I turn around and book it towards the exit.
His hand grabs a hold of the back of my superman shirt and lurches me to a halt. He wraps one arm around my waist so tight I can feel his nails dig into my skin. The more I squirm, the tighter he holds me. I let out a cry, "Please, let me go!"
He picks me up and sweeps me over his shoulder. I kick and scream and the man starts moving. I blink away the tears to clear my vision. I see a blue pick-up truck parked at the other end of the alley way.
Oh no!
He's taking me to the...

I jolt up from my bed screaming into my hands, tears streaming down my eyes. What did I just... Why'd it feel so... Real? 
I must be coming down with something.
I roll onto my side and squint at the hour on my watch. 6:45.
"Well there's no way in hell I'll be going back to sleep," I say, still staring at my watch. "Today's gonna be a long day." U

It's not until I get up to use the washroom that I'm reminded where I am. Hell for teenage boys and teenage girls who like to live a little. Also known as juvie. Still better than foster care, I guess.

I head towards the sink, look up at the mirror and nearly jump back and kiss myself. I have night zits everywhere, there's mascara running down my eyes and around my cheek bones and worst of all, bags as round and puffy as Nicki Minaj's butt have formed under my eyes. My hair is just hopeless, but I attempt to fix it anyway. God, it's everywhere!
I sprits it with water to way down the frizz. My natural curls are a pain to brush so I'll just leave that part for when I take my shower later this morning.
I then grab my toothbrush, rinse it under water, add juvie-toothpaste (which tastes like butt-hole in case you were wondering) and brush away.

"If you could, like, not wake me up at the ass-crack of dawn for once that would be very much appreciated, thanks." And that would be Rexha, my dashing roommate. She's a total pain in the ass but she's had my back since I got here about a month ago.
"Smoke some weed, dude." I jump to the sound of Jay's voice, coming from the cell next door. Jay was here way before Rexha and I. Six months ago to be exact. I look back at my roommate.
"Sorry Rex, I had a nightmare." I say shyly. She snorts, "Are you 12?". I cross my arms and glare at her, "Mind your business!" I say. She rolls her eyes at me and pulls the bed sheets back over her face. I sigh and turn to face Jay who's still buried in bed sheets. He's got half of his face peeking out from them, from where I stand I see what looks to be one of his blue eyes, staring at me intently.

I rock on my feet for a few seconds, waiting for him to say something. He just keeps watching me with that devilish look in his eye. I clear my throat, "You should try going back to sleep-" The guard on duty drags his beating stick against the bars, the loud rattle echoes aggressively down the entire hall.
"You should all try going back to sleep." He says.
I start towards my bed muttering "I'm sorry" to the guard and begin mummifying myself into to the itchy wool blankets.
"I pray to God that I can sleep peacefully this time." I whisper, "Happy thoughts, Karmen. happy thoughts..."