Sitting On the Dock of the Bay!

Ruhn Harbor was packed with furries, old, young, married, unmarried all walked along the docks buying fish, crabs, or other things that were brought in the night before from the fishermen and fisher-women that went out fishing to provide for the city.

Tradesmen & Tradeswomen that made and sold fishing supplies. Repaired them, or even made or sold trinkets to be bought were all gathered around stalls and shops.

Captain Greyson sat in his chair on the deck of his ship The Sea Crest watching the comings and goings of everyone while his first mate Clarence AngryBone sat at the stall selling the latest catch they had brought in that morning of Tulip Crabs and Sea Starks. 

He sighed as he folded his hands behind his head and leaned back in his chair. It was only him and Clarence that went out most days. His workload was okay but he would have to hire some more crew to help maintain the boat and the rigs. 

"Captain Greyson, may I come aboard?" a male voice shouted.

Cracking an eye open Greyson looked at the buff harbor master Dennis, the beefed-up Hippogriff was dressed in his official uniform. He waved his hand and gave a nod. 

The hippogriff stepped onto the plank and walked onto the deck. He ambled over and tossed himself into the seat beside the Captain.

"How has the business been lately?" asked the man as he leaned back to relax.

"Ample, just enough to get by," replied Greyson, as he returned to his previous position of relaxing.

"Yeah, the harbor has been overcrowded these days with the festival coming up. Ruhn Harbor's annual Sea Race and Dance. Are you entering this year?" Dennis inquired.

"Nope, Sea Crest is for the High Seas. Not for racing, but I am looking to hire a few deckhands. Old Clarence and I cannot make do any longer just the two of us." Greyson said as he tipped his hat back to scratch his head, "Got any ideas of who is looking to be hired upon the seas that are stocky." 

"Unfortunately, your rival Douggie has taken the last ship snail we had lurking about here. He just bought another ship to haul his goods to East Midra," replied Dennis, "He's been getting a lot of orders from them for silk."

Ship Snails were workers who stayed on the docks looking for work with shipmasters. They tended to work on the docks doing odd jobs needed by fishermen and shipmasters. Anything for a bit of Crescent to line their pockets.

"He can keep the trade route. I don't lack in that department," Greyson said, "Hummingbird Island keeps me busy enough."

"I would check the other ports if you are looking to hire a crew. Very few here nowadays," Dennis said, "Oh, and next week I'll be inspecting boats. Be ready." 

Greyson snorted a puff of smoke leaving his nostrils as Dennis left. He looked to the stall to see that his shipmate was talking to a gangly woman about their catch from that morning. He had a big goofy grin on his face which told Greyson the man was taken with the comely Oxen.

He sighed and leaned back closing his eyes once more as he tried to figure out where he could by any means find a crew to help on the ship. They also needed a cook for the galley. He pondered this thought for hours.

By the time he was ready to set sail again to go out for a night of trailing the tailwinds he was no closer to finding that answer.