Chapter 2

Mrs. Bennet was in a state of agitation. As if her attempts to encourage Jane and Mr. Bingley were not enough to thoroughly engage her time, Mr. Bennet had announced that a Mr. Collins would be visiting. Mrs. Bennet had no use for Mr. Collins, whom she considered to be a discourteous upstart determined to see the Bennet girls disinherited. Nonetheless, Mr. Collins was arriving, and Mrs. Bennet refused to allow him to see Longbourn at any other than its very best.

Elizabeth watched her mother bustle about, instructing the maids and checking with the cook. Elizabeth considered extending an offer to help, but she knew her mother well enough to realize such an offer might only serve to turn Mrs. Bennet's ire on her. While Elizabeth sometimes enjoyed vexing her easily-excited mother, it seemed not to be the best time to do so.

"Lord, all this disturbance for a man we care not one whit for!" exclaimed Elizabeth's sister Lydia. "I should hate to see what it will be like when a man visits whose opinion Mama actually cares about!"

"Any men in particular?" Elizabeth teased her sister. Lydia and their other sister, Kitty, were as of late quite fixed on the presence of the militia in the nearby village of Meryton. The two girls spent nearly all their time talking about officers, dressing to attract officers, and traveling to the village to speak with officers. Elizabeth was frankly surprised Lydia even noticed that their mother was agitated.

"Laugh all you want, Lizzy. We shall see which of us finds a husband first," said Lydia, making a face at her sister.

"I cannot imagine a man who would not be captivated by such a countenance," Elizabeth replied archly.

"Nor can I," said Lydia, and danced off.

Elizabeth's laughter was interrupted by the announcement of a carriage arriving. In spite of Lydia's previous protest, Elizabeth knew her sisters were quite as curious as she to see Mr. Collins, and she quickly informed them of his arrival.

Elizabeth then stopped in her father's study to tell him their guest was arriving. Mr. Bennet's eyes sparkled with the news. Mr. Collins' letter hinted at a degree of foolish ostentation, and Mr. Bennet very much hoped to see this same attitude in the man himself. Few things delighted Mr. Bennet more than other people's foolishness, and Mr. Collins promised to be quite foolish indeed.

The Bennets went outside to meet their guest. The carriage stopped and the door opened. A tall man stepped out. His brown curls were ideally tousled, and drew the eye downwards towards a proud Roman nose. His lips were full, and his chin was perfectly sculpted. Mr. Collins was, in short, one of the most handsome men Elizabeth had ever seen.

She glanced to the right and saw Kitty and Lydia stared at Mr. Collins with matching shocked looks. Mary looked unconcerned, and Jane wore the placid expression which always graced her lovely face.

Mrs. Bennet had the same amazed look as her youngest daughters.

"Mr. Collins," said Mr. Bennet. "Welcome to Longbourn."

Mr. Collins bowed deeply. "Thank you, sir."

"Allow me to introduce my wife, Mrs. Bennet."

"Mrs. Bennet," said Mr. Collins, in a low, melodious voice. "I cannot tell you the depth of my appreciation for your hospitality."

"Oh, think nothing of it, Mr. Collins," said Mrs. Bennet in a faint voice. "We are so pleased to make your acquaintance. These are my girls."

She introduced her daughters, and each of them curtsied to their cousin. Kitty and Lydia still wore shocked expressions, unable to draw their eyes away from Mr. Collins. Elizabeth noticed Mr. Collins' eyes lingered on Jane. Well, all that proved was his eyesight was perfectly good. What man would not fall in love with Jane upon introduction? Elizabeth mused Mr. Collins was due for a disappointment when he learned of Jane's fondness for Mr. Bingley.