Chapter 1

"Jane, are you quite sure you would not like another blanket?" Elizabeth Bennet asked her sister.

"I am fine, Lizzy. There is no need to fuss over me."

They rode together in a carriage headed for their home of Longbourn. Jane recently spent several days at the nearby estate of Netherfield after falling ill. Elizabeth also traveled to Netherfield to care for her sister.

"You did not mind so much when Mr. Bingley was doing the fussing," Elizabeth teased.

Jane gave her sister a tolerant smile. "Well, that is a different case entirely."

"If he was not in love with you before, I will wager he is now. He seemed very willing to ensure your every need and whim were catered to."

"He is a lovely man. I am not sure he is in love with me."

"And how do you feel in regards to him?"

Jane blushed. "I do know that."

Elizabeth laughed. "Tell me! We do not keep secrets from one another."

"Oh, Lizzy, I believe he is the finest man of my acquaintance. I can only hope he might return my feelings."

"No hope is necessary. I guarantee he does. You ought to have seen him inquire after you! The man is besotted. Oh, dear. We cannot tell Mama, or she will think it is all her doing."

Mrs. Bennet had sent Jane to Netherfield on horseback in the rain, causing Jane's recent illness.

"You must admit it was the most fortuitous bout of illness."

"Well, I shall give you that. Rather less fortuitous for me."

"Why? What happened?"

"Mr. Bingley's sisters spent the entire time staring at me as if I was some terrible new species of insect. Miss Bingley pretended to befriend me at one point, but only to continue her constant flirting with Mr. Darcy."

"How did Mr. Darcy react?"

"The same way he reacted to all Miss Bingley's flirtations, which is to say not at all. She must be commended for trying. I wonder if they teach such things at the fine school she attended."

"Oh, Lizzy, you must not begrudge them their education."

"I do not, as long as they do not wield it as a weapon. I would prefer they do not consider themselves superior to me. Nor am I superior to them. Can we not all just be people?"

"And what of Mr. Darcy?"

"Him I have no issue feeling superior to."

"It was horrid what he said about you at the meeting house dance. Are you certain you heard him correctly?"

"Indeed I am, and Charlotte Lucas heard the same thing. The man referred to me as 'tolerable.'"

"At least he did not refer to you as intolerable."

"He is the intolerable one! Do you know he had the nerve to ask me what I was reading one evening? I know he only asked to embarrass me."

"Could it be he was actually interested, Lizzy?"

"I doubt that. Do you think Mr. Darcy is the sort of person who enjoys novels?"

Jane smiled. "Perhaps not."

"Mr. Darcy only enjoys not enjoying anything. I am so relieved to be going home."

"Are you? Did you consider the fact Kitty and Lydia are probably fighting at this very moment, while Mary quotes scripture?"

"Hmm. Perhaps I have been looking at this situation incorrectly. Now I think of it, home sounds much less peaceful. Perhaps we should spend some days at the Lucases'?"

"And you believe their house will be quieter than our own?" Jane sounded skeptical.

"Perhaps not, but at least it will be a different kind of noise than we are used to."

"No, Lizzy, it is to Longbourn we go. Besides, I do not believe anything special is planned. Perhaps we will return to a quiet house."

"It is a possibility. Let us just hope no long-lost relatives come to call."