Chapter 38: Aurelion p.2

Start from the beginning

His sponsors pulled him out of there and sued the company for the mistreatment of their researchers. This was followed by several other lawsuits by the participants of the drug trial.

The company neglected the health and safety protocols of its workers, which was highly illegal in the medical research industry. The company later went bankrupt, and some people were arrested.

Neo was put on probation for a year since he was one of the head researchers leading the experiment. His sponsors didn't allow him access to a lab until they felt he was ready to work again.

So yes, Neo felt like his mind was plummeting into a death spiral.

Should he be pulling all-nighters for three days straight? Maybe not, but he had good reasons why.

It was either he faced his nightmares, or he didn't sleep. At least he could be productive if he didn't sleep.

The recurring nightmares were freaking him out after his visit to the Archives, and he couldn't ring up his therapist to talk about it.

He had dreamt of the Modern World.

In his dream, he saw everyone.

They were all looking at him strangely like they had discovered one of his deepest secrets.

And then Neo saw him.

He was dressed in mismatched colors, and his hair was down to his waist, unkept, tangled, and scattered to the wind... and he was crying.

Tears streamed down his face, their face, and Neo was met with vermillion eyes filled to the brim with despair.

Then he was back on that cliff, bleeding out. The cold rain splashed against his face, the waves beneath the cliff collided against the rock, the storm raged, and the smell of fire and smoke filled his nose.

Aurelion watched with his eyes glowing against the backdrop of a dark sky struck by lightning. He carried a sword covered in blood, and a twisted smile started to form on his lips--

It was either watch that play out in his mind over and over again in his sleep or pull a couple of all-nighters until he passed out from sheer exhaustion so his brain could reboot.

On the bright side, Neo yawned, he was starting to feel the signs of sleep deprivation.

Yet here he was, walking around like an idiot without anything better to do.

He ran his hand through his hair. The strands had grown longer since he cut them, and they kept getting in his face.

He wanted to grow them out again now that he had adapted to this world.

After all, the real reason he wanted his hair short in the first place was because it kept reminding him of the crazy boy who lived and died miserably on that cliff...

---

Nazareth hadn't asked for a second chance.

He was resentful when he bled to death, but he accepted his fate. Death was a natural part of living, and he, a worthless ant in the eyes of the gods, could not change the prewritten destiny.

He never intended to reincarnate into that Modern World with the memories of his first life.

To wake up in the body of an infant—abandoned, alone, unwanted—in an orphanage, was hell.

He was aggrieved and unwilling of his new fate. Betrayed by death, abandoned by the spirits who gifted ignorance, and the gods who guided the souls into oblivion, he was alone, feeble, and devoid of power.