Graduation Day

Alec's POV

Months Later

"Okay, everyone smile!!" Deliah says, holding her phone to take a picture. "Is that enough pictures?" I ask, a little annoyed. "I don't know about you Alec, but I love getting my picture taken." Jace says as he pulls on his graduation gown. I just roll my eyes. "Yeah Alec, come on you only graduate once!" Clary says, with so much enthusiasm, it feels like it could choke me. "Alright couple pictures and then we can go!  Promise this time." My mother says. Magnus takes my arm and moves us in front of the fireplace in his living room. We pose for a few pictures, Magnus moving me around to take the best pictures. "They look great. Magnus approved." He says brightly. Izzy and Simon go next. I take a look at everyone here... My family, Magnus's, Simon's Clary's... before making my way to the kitchen.

"Everything okay?" Magnus says while I grab a glass from the cabinet. I fill the cup up and take a sip before answering. "Yeah, yeah. I am great." I say as happy as I can. "Well, I have known you long enough to know that something is up with you. Just tell me." He steps to me and slides his hands around my waist and he rests them on my lower back. "I just woke up with the thought this morning that I almost didn't get to this day. You know? I should have died that night when they broke in to the house... I am grateful obviously. It is just a strange thought I had. I just feel like I am a ghost looking as my life passes." He doesn't respond for a moment.

"Alexander. You are far from being a ghost. You are the strongest person I know and one of the most caring. I think you just need to move on from this part of your life... you know? Living here... being at the same high school... you lived a whole lifetime in that head of your's." He pauses to smile and run his hand through my hair. "You need a fresh start. That's all. That's why we are going to school that wasn't in your head. That's not in this state but also with all of our friends and family. And also close enough that of we need anything, all of our families are a call and a few hour drive away." I nod my head and pull him into a tight embrace. "It's okay, Alexander."

'Alec, Magnus! Let's go its time to go!" Simon's mom screams and storms into the kitchen. She has tears streaming down her face. Magnus lets go of me and walks over to her, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket. "Bless your heart Magnus." She says and pats her eyes. "No one is ruining their makeup today on my watch." He says with a laugh. He walks back to me and takes my hand, guiding me to the vehicles.

When we get to the school, we say goodbye to our families as they make it to the stands. The graduation ceremony is on the football field so we can enjoy an outdoor setting on this 80 degree day... thanks to Izzy. She HAD to get the principal to change his mind. Every year its in the gym and its simple and quick. Now its hot and will feel like it will take forever. "Alec, if the only thing you remember today is one thing, make sure its to smile... okay?" Izzy says. "It's almost like you're reading my mind." I say, which causes Jace and Simon to chuckle. "Simon!" Izzy says defensively, almost have jokingly.

We get in our assigned seating, alphabetically and wait. Many of the students are taking to fill the time until all the students have arrived and the parents are seated. The speeches go by surprising quickly as does the song singing they have. Then its time to walk the stage. Row by row students stand and walk to the stage in a line. Their name is called and they walk the steps, receive their diploma, shake the hand of the vice principal, and pose for a picture at the bottom of the next set of steps on the other side of the stage. Pretty long process for me. Magnus is the first of our group to make the stage. "Next we have, Mag...nus Bane?" The principal says confused... he was known as Malik here but once his father was arrested for that night at the sushi restaurant, he started going by it more and more. "That's my boy!" Jerry yells from the stands, which causes him to chuckle on stage. He looks at me and smiles. "I love you." I mouth to him. "I love you more." He mouths back before walking down the stage. Then is Clary, Simon, Izzy and myself, and Jace last. It was surprising long, the whole name calling. There wasn't many students in our grade... but it sure lasted as if there were.

We move our tassels and throw our caps in the air once the last row arrives at their seats. We all meet up again at the goal post closest to the parking lot of the stadium. "Ah! That was so great!" Simon's mom says laughing. "More pictures?" I asks with a jokingly sarcastic tone. "Anything less?" My father says. We all get together for more pictures on the field. Once all the picture taking is over, we head to Jerry's for dinner and ice cream to celebrate the occasion.

"Alec, can I talk to you?" My mother says as we walk to the restaurant in a massive group. I stop moving and she catches up to me. "I know what you must be feeling today... I had a thought this morning that you wouldn't be too happy with all this festivities since you almost weren't here. I just wanted you to know, I love you and I am so proud of all the work you did to get to this moment. Okay? After tonight... no more celebrating until college graduation." She says and ends with a laugh. It cause me to smile. I wrap my arm around her shoulders as we walk inside to join everyone.

We have to take it all in since move in is in just a few months...