Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Where did y'all go?" Roxanne asked when the two rushed into the common room with flushed faces and smiling. 

    "Just stopped to talk to Albus," Maddie nodded. 

    The four talked most of the day, just talking about last night, James and Maddie occasionally sneaking knowing glances to each other. 

    "Hey Maddie?" 

    Maddie looked up and saw James, a nervous smile on his face. 

    "Yes?"

    "Will you go on a date with me tomorrow night?" 

    Maddie looked at James again, smiling. 

    "Hm... let me think about it," Maddie teased, "I guess it's worth a try." 

     James smiled and leaned into her, pecking her lips. 

    The next day, Maddie couldn't find him anywhere around the castle, but she wasn't up to just texting him out of the blue. 

    Around seven at night, James showed up to her dorm in a tux and a single sunflower. 

    "I think I'm underdressed," Maddie laughed. 

    "You can always go change," James noted. 

    "I have nothing to wear."

    "Just go check the closet," James suggested, his famous grin on his face. 

    Maddie opened her closet to find a beautiful ball gown, one she had considered getting for the yule ball. It was silk on the top, with pelted flowers sewed in, and the flowers slowly went away, her dress dispersing into a more flowy material. 

    "Wow, how did you know James, it's beautiful," Maddie whispered in amazement. 

     "I knew I wanted to dance with you in that dress the second I saw it on you." 

    Maddie looked at him and kissed him gently before going to change. 

    She quickly got dressed, opening the door. James looked at her in amazement, his eyes never leaving her. 

    "You look so beautiful," James smiled. 

    "I... I love you," Maddie smiled back. 

    The two sneaked down the hall into the abandoned ball room, but it was lit with candles. A small record player sat in the corner. 

    "I know it's not much-," James started nervously. 

    "This is amazing," Maddie interrupted, smiling so much her mouth almost hurt. 

     James quickly started the record player, and have a goofy smile to his lover, bowing. 

    "May I have this dance?" James asked. 

    "Why of course good sir," Maddie giggled, taking his hand. 

    The two danced for what seemed like hours, though it was only one song. They laughed and giggled and twirled and kissed. 

    "Madelyn Amourette, will you be my girlfriend?" James asked after the song was over. 

    Maddie forgot about how scared she was to date him, how scared she was to ruin their friendship in the moment, she only knew how much she wanted to say yes. 

     "James Sirius Potter, it would an honor to date you."

     The two kissed again, James hand on her back, and once again one hand on her face, but gently this time.