Chapter Twenty-Eight

James groaned as a bit of sun peaked from his curtain, calling him to wake up. He nearly turned before he realized Maddie was sleeping in his arms, her hair a wild mess. She was a beautiful sleeper, he noted, even with the small drool spot on the pillow. 

    His heart soared when he remembered all of last night over again. He took his dangers and slightly brushed her hair out of her face and crept out of bed, going to brush his teeth. 

    When Maddie woke up, the room was dead silent. She felt her heart panic, was last night a dream? As if he read her mind, James walked in with a smile on his face, leaning over and giving her a kiss on the forehead. 

    It was amazing, the connection between the two. There wasn't an awkward stage or wondering if it was too much to kiss her or leave the room. It was just James and Maddie, but now they didn't have to hold back. 

    "Good morning sunshine."

    "Mm, morning Jamie," Maddie smiled drowsily. 

    "I'm gonna go see where Fred and everyone is, wanna come?" 

    Maddie nodded her head, slipping a pair of fuzzy socks on before her feet could reach the cold tile floor. She went and brushed her teeth, using a quick "Accio toothbrush" and tried to maintain the mess of hair she had.

    The two walked down the corridor hand in hand, a smile on both of their faces. When they reached the Great Hall, Roxanne eyes fell down to their hands, up to Maddie's eyes, and back down to their hands. 

    Nervously, Maddie released her hand from James, who looked at her, confused. 

    "So... where were you last night?" Roxanne immediately asked, sensing something was up. Fred on the other hand, was shoving his face with anything on the table.

    "Slept with James, you know the usual," Maddie answered, hoping their usual cuddle session was all Roxanne thought happened. 

    "Right, right. Whatever happened to Matthew?"

    "Beats me. One moment he was groping me, next James beat the shit out of him. I figured that was a good time to call it a night," Maddie replied. 

    Roxanne looked at her, scanning over her face, then James, who looked slightly confused but agreed. 

    "Guess it didn't work out... want me to get you with someone else?" Roxanne asked suspiciously. 

    Maddie's eyes grew wide and she nearly choked on the piece of toast she was chewing  on.  

    "Uhm, no. No. No thank you."

    "James, how about you, you've been quiet this morning?"

    "Uh, yeah. I'm tired. But no, my heart belongs to Maddie, everyone knows that." 

    James looked at Maddie sadly, wondering why they were keeping it quiet that they were basically together. 

    After breakfast, the group were walking back when James grabbed Maddie by the hand and dragged her to the next hall. 

    "James?" Maddie questioned, but she was quite enjoying the little distance between the two. James had her nearly pinned against the wall, his body on hers.

    "So what's up with the not telling Roxy?"

    "Tell her what? That we kissed?" Maddie asked, ana James face nearly fell when he realized she was right. They weren't dating or anything. 

    "Okay, fine. But why can't we hold hands then?"

    "Because- I, well, I don't know," Maddie stammered, frustrated with the questions and the feeling of James breathe near her face, so close she could almost kiss him. Her eyes fell to his lips, and the frustrated expression on his face only made her want him more. 

    "What?" James breathed out. 

    "Because, because people will start asking what we are. I don't know what we are, do you?"

    "No, but I know I love you. So why does it matter?"

    "I love you too," Maddie whispered, finally leaning into his lips and kissing him. James pushed himself towards her, her body pressed against the wall and his body pressed against hers. 

    His lips felt every part of her soft lips, tasting like honey from the toast she had. He nearly nibbled on her lip. 

    Maddie's heart was bursting with adrenaline and she wanted to be even closer to him. 

    "James? Maddie!?" a voice called out, both of their eyes falling on a wide eyed Albus. 

    "Shit," Maddie breathed out, her cheeks red and flustered and her heart beating fast, "Shit."

    "Hey Al," James beamed, not even moving his position of having Maddie against the wall.

     "Uh. Hey James, you seem quite busy.." Albus laughed. 

    "Yes, very busy, run along now," James said. 

    "Shut up James," Maddie mumbled, slipping between him and the wall to get to Albus. 

    "Hey Al, let's not talk about this," Maddie nervously mumbled. 

    "Of course, of course," Albus nodded, but she could see a glint in his eyes that said he was at least telling Scorpius. 

    "I wouldn't want to tell James what I saw you Scorpius doing in his room, would I?" Maddie warned, making Albus eyes grow wide again. 

    "You saw that?" Albus asked, horrified. 

    Maddie nodded her head, remembering the time Scorpius spent the night over the summer. She went into the room and found the two kissing in bed, but closed the door before she was seen.

    "Right, right. Glad to see you two buddies doing completely normal buddy things," Albus chuckled before leaving. 

    "That was a close one," Maddie huffed, "let's get back before the twins wonder where we are."