Chapter 2

Tugging on my open flannel shirt, I yanked it tight around my body. Why did I not bother to wear a jacket? Stepping through the growing silence of York, I noticed how the sun was swiftly slipping to sleep behind the ancient buildings. With every moment that passed, the light was disappearing, the cold night air appearing rapidly.

"Hey Jamie?" Called a familiar male voice from behind. Most people knew me in this town although I wished they didn't. The vast majority of people here are of an older generation, therefore, not familiar or particularly happy with my choice of clothing - or even life in general. Spinning, my eyes greeted the boy from the shop a couple days previous. Ben I think his name was?

"Hi" I half-smiled, noticing another boy with him. The friend was taller, similar hair but black, had black eyeliner and black nail polish on.

"You okay?" The customer grinned. I simply nodded. It was too cold for general chit-chat. According to my grandma who sadly passed away three years ago, I always feel the cold. "Ya fancy that drink?"

"Now?" I questioned as the pair chuckled at me. The other boy's eyes did not leave my body. I felt uncomfortable

"Course right now! It's drink o'clock isn't Ben?" the friend yelled, throwing his arms in the air. Looks like he's already had some alcohol! It frightened me a little. Lets just say I do not really handle people that have had a lot to drink too well.

"Erm" I pondered for a moment. I guess it could be fun.

"Come on Jamie. It'll be fun." Ben's cunningly grinned, convincing me.

"Alright". What have I gotten myself into? Least he should leave me alone after this. I'm not sure why he's bothering with me in the first place.

"Ya tha bird who works in that shop right?" The friend who was introduced as Danny asked me as he consumed his canned beer he was carrying with him amongst the darkening streets. I nodded. "Ya too quiet...Well I'm off to find myself a bird. Laters cunts!"

"Charming" I scoffed jokingly.

"I'm kinda happy he's gone. He gets a bit too full on if you know what I mean" Ben paused. "Anyways, let's go to the bar". He brushed his hand against mine but didn't grasp it. In a way, I was slightly disappointed. Even though I don't really have a family or friends, I always crave human comfort, even if it is just holding somebody's hand or a simple, friendly hug.