Part 46: The magic tower #3

Start from the beginning

And there was only one single mage who would wear something like that, not showing off their earned badges or pins. 

"Ellios," I said in a stern voice. "What are you doing here?" 

He looked as if he finally got his senses back from the large blow, and stared wide-eyed at me. 

He tried cracking a nervous smile, but then saw my unwavering eyes. 

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here." I repeated another time so that he couldn't evade the question. 

I almost felt bad for him. Fear was clearly rising up in his eyes. 

I didn't want to do this, but my life and one of the greatest opportunities depended on this. 

"Well.........I overheard you conversation........." He looked down ashamed. 

"How much of it did you hear?" I asked him before my stone wall broke down. 

"M-most of i-it.................." He mumbled out. 

"Is that so?" I looked at him in the eye, making sure he wasn't lying. 

".....Y-yes." He replied back, and I had confirmed that he definitely heard that part where the woman explained how the potion worked. 

"Just asking out of the random, Ellios, but are you wondering how I got it?" 

I wanted to verify if he already knew from where I gotten it. 

"This is just a guess..........but it might be Lady C-castria........."

I gave him a confused look, as if I were muddled with his strange conclusion.

".............She doesn't like you very much............Much more than the others................" He explained, scared that he made a mistake. 

I held back my praise for his intelligence in figuring out that much. 

But the issue was that he got it right. 

Now that he knew the very girl he liked would give me something like that, what was going to be his next actions?

Was he going to decide to go against her, but was he influenced enough by her sense of justice to do that?

Or was he going to try to make me shut my mouth for eternity for Ivy, and be dragged off to the execution place?

He was the Head Magician's son, and destroying evidence like this was something he could do without any excess effort. 

But of course, the 2 people behind me that had helped with the examination would also know, but Ellios could threaten to fire them if they didn't cooperate. 

They had the soul of maniacs, that is true, but they looked as if they loved this job more than anything. 

I doubt they would want to lose it, their dear job. 

I was out of options, then. 

Nobody would help me convict Ivy of attempted poison (was this considered a poisonous liquid yet? It was a fairly new discovery), or the possible murder. 

Was this the opposite of what the real Roselyn felt? Lonely and helpless?

Roselyn was spoiled and believed she owned the world and everything inside it. She believed it was natural for others to come to her aid willingly.

Or perhaps the exact same? That Roselyn may have felt like I did at the very end of her life. With nobody coming for her, she might have felt the cruel and bitter feeling of raw despair. 

It is possible that she may have believed that someone would definitely help her until her last breath.

I-it wasn't too late wasn't it? 

I mean, I do have some other small evidence, don't I? Don't I?!

But I knew that was false. 

They weren't big enough to even put Ivy on suspicion, since she had the capture targets encircling her. 

I couldn't afford to use my parents' money or power, since I didn't want to cause them any trouble. 

And how about.......Onii-sama? Maybe I could go to him for help?

But recently he had been paying more and more attention to Ivy. 

Its like all the attention he gave me shifted over to the heroine, exactly mirroring the otome game. 

I walked up to the door of my dorm, but my hands were to shaky to even reach the nob. 

For the first time in a decade, a tear dropped down from my cheek. 

It didn't stop; a whole flood of tears came streaming down after. 

I wanted help. Was I always this alone? 

But I couldn't trust anybody, not a single person on this planet. 

Not a single person in this otome world would give out their hand by choice. 

Why do heroines always start out with nothing yet come out with everything? 

Yet villainess' look as if they start out with everything on the surface but in reality they had nothing from the beginning? 

I slunked down on my knees, and started crying. 

"Um....Lady Roselyn.................." 

My head flung up to meet Ellios. 

"You!" I shrieked. "Why did you follow me back?!" 

My eyes narrowed. 

"Are you okay?" 

My eyes widened. Did he ask me this truly in a sincere way, or was it just to mock me? 

Knowing Ellios, he would never tease anybody in such a mean way. 

"So......I suppose, uh, figured out who gave it to you..........." He looked unsure of what to say to me. 

I forced out a smile to make up for my messy face. 

"You did. Congratulations. Now what are you going to do, Ellios?" 

He looked at me with a hesitant expression, as if wanting to say something but the words were not coming out. 

"Why........are you acting like everybody's your enemy? You act like you're fighting something invisible..........and............and........as if nobody can help you." 

"...........What?"