19 | 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝑒𝒸𝓇𝑒𝓉 𝑀𝑒𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔

Start from the beginning

I went to my locker, exchanged some books and closed it again. I was about to turn around when I felt someone put their arm around my shoulders, kind of like a hug from behind. They spoke, "Hello, Sophia."

It was a masculine voice and I immediately knew who it was, which made a smile appear on my lips for the first time today. "Hey, Logan," I said back, happy that at least he was still here. 

He actually seemed quite eager for such a sad day, did he not hear what happened? 
In case he did know but just didn't want to talk about it, I kept quiet. 

As expected, I haven't seen Grayson or any of his friends around. They seemed really close with Josephine. Well, he did appear to be annoyed by her a lot, but they knew each other, maybe even for years, I don't know. 

"I'll drop you off at your next class if you want?" Logan suggested, the friendly tone he always had still in his voice. I nodded and told him I had math next. He lead the way, even though I already knew where it was, and halted at the door. We said goodbye and he walked away, leaving me to enter the classroom. 

-

Nothing happened in my first few classes, they all flew by until lunch came around. "Hey, how are you guys doing?" I asked Evie and Arabella as I sat down at their table. Natalie and Leslie and her friends decided to go out for lunch, they invited me, but I again declined their offer kindly. 

"We're doing alright." She knew what I was talking about and continued, "We weren't friends with Josephine—we hated each other, to be honest. But still...it's definitely going to be more quiet here."  

"Yeah, everything's also really depressive at the moment," added Bella, looking around the cafeteria that was more unfilled than usual, then suddenly turned around. "Not to be offensive or anything, I just meant that no one is smiling, is all." 

I laughed light-heartedly, "Yeah no, I get it, no worries." She smiled in relief and stared at her half-eaten sandwich. I pulled out my water bottle and drank from it, not specifically hungry for anything. 

"Let's go outside," Evie abruptly said, standing up without waiting for a response out of me or Bella. We followed her actions and ended up out the back door of the school, going toward the football field. 

We sat down in a small circle, the sun barely shining through the grey clouds that hung in the sky. Even the weather was disconsolate today. Evie lay down on her back on the grass, closing her eyes. Bella laid her head on Evie's belly, making herself comfortable on the grass as well. 

I was about to lay my upper-body on Bella's legs, making the little triangle of our bodies complete, but something caught my eye. I saw four guys standing near each other at the end of the field, discussing some things. They stood close to one another, acting exceedingly secretive, as if no one was allowed to hear them.

Why were they back there? Are they dealing...drugs? I thought to myself. They weren't near the bleachers or the school's side of the field, they were on the opposite path. It gave off the impression that they were having an underhand meeting or something. I frowned, but then recognised one of the guys. Logan? What's he doing there?

One of the four boys, not Logan, shouted one last thing to the three others, while taking a few steps backwards, then turned around and started running toward a group of jocks, jumping on them as if they were best buds. I saw him as Jacob, I also knew he played a sport here.  

Anderson was the third person I discovered. He rose a few inches above Logan and the last guy who had his back to me. Logan did a swift handshake with the unknown man and jogged away from them, almost missing me, but then he caught my gaze. He waved, and when I exchanged it with an acknowledging smile, he grinned and kept on moving to the school's entrance.   

My eyes fell on the two guys left, Anderson and the other one, it seemed as if they were arguing. I wonder what about? I have always been a curious person. But curiosity killed the cat, right? So I better mind my own business. 

Before I could shift my stare, he looked over his shoulder, one peculiar ray of sunshine hitting his face with the right angle. Streaks of his deranged, dark hair growing 'til over his forehead and his green eyes falling on me. 

Do I look away? Would that seem suspicious? Does he know I had been gaping at them like a stalker? Oh no. I wanted to but couldn't change the direction my eyes led to. I held his intense and strong gaze, but barely. There was something dark about them, definitely hiding a secret. You could tell by his posture and discreet way he talked to his friends just now.  

As devilishly as he seemed, the sun gave an impossible angelic look to it. He was a few yards away, not close by, but yet I could still see his face and all the details. Is it because I ogle him a lot during the classes I share with him? I don't know, but I could remember every single feature. From his slightly crooked but almost straight nose, to his shadowy eyelashes and pink lips. 

I couldn't handle it anymore and situated my back on the soft rug of green grass, placing my head on Bella's legs. Forget about it, Sophia. Forget about him, forget about everything... 

I rested my eyelids too, desperate for the sleep I didn't get yesterday. The few rays of the sun heating my face a little and making me feel calm. I positioned myself on my side and let out a sigh, thinking the bell will wake us up for classes, so we won't be late and relaxed fully. 

Nothing's important right now...