6. Paimon the Hero

Start from the beginning

"...the weapons that are going to be made isn't to hunt animals."

Both of them were surprised.

"S-so you are planning to rebel against your father?!"

"Even though you looked happy meeting him again yesterday?!?"

Hearing both of their imaginations going wild, she can't help but chuckle at both of them.

"Both of you are being silly. Rebelling never crossed my mind."

"So, what exactly will the weapons are for then?"

She took a deep breath. She had to tell them.

"To hunt tresspassers. To be specific, humans."

Both of their eyes widened in sync. Humans? Tresspassing? Both of them wanted to pull off a joke, but seeing Paimon's serious face, both of them scrapped that idea. They felt that Paimon said the truth.

"Paimon know you might be wondering 'how did you know', but please, at this moment, believe Paimon's words."

Bebal and Abalam looked at each other. Then, they smiled.

"Of course we believe you! I can't leave my friend in trouble, can I?"

"Plus, it seems that you are acting so that you are going to protect everyone, so help is needed."

"That's right! You'd better tell the truth after everything is over though."

She felt relieved. It's good that they are very understanding about the situation. Sometimes she wonders whether she even deserves them.

"Paimon will. Thanks guys!"

*

A crowd gathered at the main hall. Paimon volunteered to announce the issue.

"I'd like to thank everyone here for attending this emergency announcement. Today, there will be a big shift in our usual sector that we usually focused on."

The crowed were confused.

"As you all know, on this island, we focused more on our basic needs. After calculating the total production of food and the number of population in this island, the crops and boar meats that we've produced are more than enough for us to survive in the next decade. This is thanks to everyone who have worked hard in maintaing our comfortable lifestyle."

Paimon smiled before showing her serious face.

"However, by our leader's command, a change is needed. A change that may make us stronger. An order to increase military force will be implimented today."

The crowd was in shock. They start to talk among each other. Why would they need to learn how to fight when there's nothing that could attack them in the first place?

Despite the confusion, there was a sole male elf, clapping his hand amused at the announcement. She immediately recognized who it was.

"So you have finally understood what we actually need to do huh, Paimon? Now that's what I like to see."

Paimon's face darken. She knew he had always suggested this same thing, but she wasn't too happy about his suggestion, mainly because she dislikes violence. This is mainly the reason why they don't get along. He had always thought that Paimon was naive to think that they can keep this place for themselves forever. He always treats her coldly though, so that adds up Paimon's dislike towards him. However, begrudgingly, she knew he was right.

"If that's just what you wanted to say, could you go back to your sit, Kimaris?"

He smirked. He knew he always pisses her off and he enjoys it.

"Now, back to my speech. I will make one thing clear; the reason for this is confidential. It would be our best interest to not pry too much into this.

Now, I'd like to hire certain roles to make this happen. After that, we will hold a meeting among the chosen ranks to organize all the weapons and resources. First, existing blacksmiths in this town will divide their work between normal everyday tools for farming and weapons such as swords, bows, polearms and others. As everyone knows, the current number of blacksmiths in this island are not much, mainly because they've only ever made farming tools. So, we may need more talented blacksmiths to provide assistance to increase the quality and quantity of the forgery."

They've discussed about this and had appointed a few elves to take the role of blacksmiths. In total, there were 3 existing blacksmiths and 10 new apprentices.

"Okay, now that is out of the way, here is the hard part. Our military force. This requires strength and technical abilities to use weapon, but as we all know, the only thing we have ever fought against were boars and pigeons. Even then, we struggled, mainly because of our naturally small and weak body. Even so, we need to train more elves to at least be able to use a weapon. If I were to decide according to my judgement, existing hunters would be the perfect to be the general and would lead the army. First, we'll pick a general among the hunters. Are there any volunteers?"

Despite the call, no one seems to give a sign raising their hands. She sighed, fully knew that this would happen since no one would be brave enough to bear the responsibility.

That was only what she thought however.

"I'll volunteer." Kimaris, the best hunter in the island, raised his hand.