"No," the other boy answered. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

Zane sighed. "I hate waiting,"

Joseph, bringing his other leg up to sit cross-legged on the thin train seat, gave him a curious look. "Why?"

"I don't know, it just seems like wasted time. Why keep the subject of our work from us when we could have been told and come prepared for whatever it was we're doing."

Joseph gestured subtly at Zane's nearly bulging duffel bag. "That's not prepared?"

Zane scoffed at him, turning only slightly away. Abruptly, he said, "You've got the wrong color of tie on," he laid his hands on his knees, taking a deep breath.

Joseph peered down at his chest as if seeing the tie for the first time. Whereas every other tie worn on the train was navy blue, his was a more beautiful, majestic sea blue. He frowned slightly. "I know," he said softly. "I want to be unique."

"Why?" Zane demanded, his voice rising slightly.

"I want to be seen," Joseph said softly. "I want to be known as a separate person, someone with their own opinions, beliefs, and passions. I'm different from everybody else in this city, so why not show it?"

"How are you so different?"

"You couldn't understand," Joseph said, turning away. "You are just like every other seventeen-year-old person in New Vancouver. You follow the rules and expect nothing in return. You abide by their laws but yet those laws restrict you from expressing yourself. Do you not see the repression? The forced compliance?"

Zane shrunk back. Joseph was acting crazy. Zane opened his mouth, but Joseph was not finished.

"I don't care what laws the Governors lay down. I don't care if I am told to sit a certain way and read a certain book. I am not going to do any of it. I do not care about anything in this garbage city. The philosophy is wrong. Earth is not for humans. Tell me, Zane, have you ever seen the outside world?" he demanded furiously. He clearly expected an answer.

"Well, of course, I-" Zane's heart skipped a beat. I haven't.

"My point exactly," Joseph said with finality.

Zane was furious. Joseph was speaking out against everything they had ever been told. How could they control every aspect of his life? He was his own person. His mind drifted to the identical suits worn by the people on the train, but he shook it off just as quickly. No, the philosophy was not a lie. It was the only thing Zane had ever known, and he wasn't about to give it up just because a boy he had known for one day dared to tell him it was wrong. Even if the boy was so attractive. Zane wrinkled his brow in surprise. Another unwelcome yet bafflingly entertaining thought. He had to figure them out before they got out of hand.

The rest of the train ride passed in silence, and Zane never once glanced over at Joseph. He did not care what the other boy thought. He would warm up to this new job eventually and realize that all he ever needed was here in New Vancouver, right in front of him. He didn't need to be different if he could fit in. There were no advantages to standing out. It only got you noticed, which was not always a good thing.

Zane turned to the window and watched his city flash by. He saw the towering metal buildings stream past and he revelled in the darkness when their train slipped through a tunnel. Joseph readjusted his tie, making it appear more out of place, and Zane frowned. Why did the boy's asymmetry appeal to Zane's eyes so much? It was wrong and technically illegal, although never explicitly stated. He shook off the weird emotions and returned his gaze to the window, where downtown New Vancouver was fading into the distance.