22

"Are you just going to stare at me or are you going to come up?", he answered.

"I think I'll stare a bit longer", I laughed at the wordplay.

••••

"I'm sorry", I sat on his bed and looked him in the eye.

"It's alright", he nodded, "But I cannot wait around forever, Eleanor-"

"You do not have to wait-"

"For you to choose between the two of us", he finished.  

I was taken aback by him saying this. I sat there searching for the words to reply with.

"I have known you forever, Elle. I know when your heart isn't fully with me."

"I- I do not know what to say."

"You promised me you would shoot down any romantic prospect he might throw at you, and if you haven't thus far that is alright", he shook his head, "But I will promise you this", he stepped toward me and looked down at me, "If it is between him and I, I would not object if you choose him now. I will remain in your life and be a friend, but what I will not do is be a second option. I cannot sit here and fill a certain void in you while he goes off to fill another."

I sat there astounded at these words coming from him and how understanding he would be to see me with his brother if I had wished it. I took a shaky breath and looked up at him.

"Regulus-"

"Just choose, Eleanor", he grabbed my face and looked at me intricately, clearly on the edge of his nerves.

"Regulus, I choose you."

He backed away and I could tell a huge weight was lifted from me as he laughed with relief and hugged me like he never wanted to let go.

I pulled away and grabbed his hand to kiss it like he does to me, "And I am sure you needn't worry about me breaking anything off with him...as I imagine it is already done."

I thought back to mine and Sirius's last conversation:

"It will always be him won't it? Him over anyone!"

I looked back at his smiling radiant face and placed my hand on his cheek, "My heart lies with you."