Marius evaded the spear yet again.

The Golden Merman flung the spear at him another four times, hellbent on spearing him through. Every time, Marius moved out of the way at the last possible second, skillfully dodged attack after attack even when the speed and ferocity increased.

Without ever breaking a sweat, he drawled disdainfully, "Are you finished?"

The Golden Merman's eyebrow ticked almost imperceptibly, but Marius detected it nevertheless. Blackly, the Golden Merman said in an ancient, ear-grating voice that sounded as if ten druids had spoken, "I can fold the sea on this very empire of yours, make it as if it never existed."

Marius drew his sword.

"You will regret saying that," he promised, his hand tightening around the golden, jewel-encrusted hilt.

"For damaging my vessel, you deserve no less," the Golden Merman growled, his eyes flashing an impossible golden.

"He hurt himself, the fool."

"Lies."

An entire cage containing none other than Shtara came flying his way. He jumped out of the way.

The sea monster Shtara was not so lucky. Marius glanced to see that the wreckage of the cage that once contained him now impaled his body in multiple places, instantly killing him.

If Marius didn't stop the Golden Merman soon, it would be him in Shtara's place next.

As if reading his mind, the Golden Merman threatened, a dangerous promise lacing his words, "You will be next."

"If you truly had it in you to kill me, you would have done so already." Marius began. He took a step toward the Spirit, who was hovering about twenty feet away, followed by another. "Your vessel is an inexperienced half-breed with barely any magical powers. I wager it will take you decades, if not centuries, to summon the kind of power you are talking about."

"Have you already forgotten how full of surprises my Prince can be?"

No, indeed he hadn't.

He vividly recalled the first time he'd met the Astrian half-breed. The last thing he'd expected was to clash swords with him, and he'd expected the prince to be an adept fighter even less. And he'd been surprised -and even caught off guard- when he'd slit his own wrist in a clever ploy to summon his dormant powers.

Never one to shy away from the uncomfortable truth, Marius admitted to himself that the half-breed certainly had a few tricks up his sleeve, especially when he was cornered. That being said, did that mean that he possessed the necessary magical energy to power the Spirit of the Sea's true power and abilities?

He frowned at the mere thought of it, for if that were true...

They'd talked enough.

"Let's end this."

"Yes, let us."

Marius quickly closed the distance between them in a matter of one second, and just as he swung his sword-

The Golden Merman teleported away in a brilliant flash of gold.

He'd escaped.

The servants and guards peeking through windows and watching the battle could have sworn that their king let out a bloodcurdling, furious roar that resembled a dragon's that chilled every last one of them to the bone.

****

General Ryodan could hardly believe the telepathic message he'd received only moments ago.

What do you mean he's in the Kingdom? He sent out an incredulous message of his own through the telepathic link shared with his agents.

How was it that he'd managed to escape King Marius' grasp, get out of the dome, flee Nostraza, and find Astria in less than ten minutes?

The answer stared him right in the face. What his king and his advisors had suspected all along was true: Prince Kai did possess the Spirit of the Sea.

This unexpected development opened up a whole new array of fears and concerns. Quickly, Ryodan demanded: Where is he now?

The response was quick: He's with our King.

Ryodan cursed, "Shit!"

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

You may comment your speculations below <3

Can't wait for the next chapter? Then consider joining my Patreon for early access to chapters for as little as $1! Also, there's now a tier dedicated to giving patrons double updates of Abyssal!