How It Really Was

The rusty gate was opened by a cloaked figure, walking towards the house. It was dark and foggy on this night and the only two occupants of the house were the small children, both one-year-olds. A little way away,  the parents of these children sat in a park, talking, despite the dark. They were blissfully unaware of the danger their kids were currently in. Back at the house, both children lay sleeping, a boy and a girl.

They were startled awake by the sound of the front door being blown open, signalling to the intruder. The man, seeking out the children, came up the stairs and towards the bedroom. There he found the crying infants, and he trained his wand on them, preparing to kill. Just as a green light left his wand, heading towards the bundle of limbs, something strange happened. The little girl let out a high pitch screech and watched as a rune appeared, covering both children and sending the killing curse flying. Whilst the main curse hit the intruder, a little strand broke the mirror on the wall. One of the pieces of said mirror, flew towards the little boy and hit his head. This impact caused a lightning shape mark to appear on his skin.

Just a few moments later four people ran into the house after seeing the broken door. The first two were a couple and the little boys' parents. The woman had long ginger hair and her green eyes were crying, thinking the worst of her child and goddaughter. This was Lilly Potter. The man looked like his son, in that he had choppy raven hair and shared his facial features. He was James Potter. Both rushed up the stairs closely followed by a man, with shoulder-length black hair and grey eyes. He was the father of the baby girl, Sirius Black. Finally came their best friend, the man with two long scars on his face and short brown hair, Remus Lupin.

Upon reaching the room the parents were relieved to see that their children were relatively unharmed. Lilly let out a sob and reached out for her son Harry, just as Sirius picked up his daughter Cara. Together they all made there way to the living room and sat on the couches. Harry was on his mother's lap and looking at his father as he cleaned up his wound. On the other side was Sirius, holding on to his sleeping child for dear life, not quite over the scare. It was Remus that broke the silence first.

"Why would Peter betray us like that? I just don't understand! Did something happen to him?"

At this, Sirius growled
"That coward! I will hunt him down and kill him myself! He put my daughter and my godson in danger!"

"Sirius mate, stay calm or you'll wake Cara. We don't even know what happened! Why would you-know-who come here only to leave our children unharmed? It doesn't make sense" snapped James.

Just as he finished speaking, a man in lilac robes who had a long white beard, stepped out of the fireplace.

"Perhaps I could help out in solving this mystery?"

"Dumbledore! Thank you for coming!"

"Of course Lilly. Now, do any of the children have a small mark on their body. It doesn't have to be big just something like a scar perhaps?"

At this James and Lilly looked at each other, "yes Harry has a lightning scar on his head. Dumbledore what does this mean?" Asked James.

"Well, my dear boy it means that Harry Potter is the boy who lived. He was hit with the killing curse. The only way he could have survived is if there was powerful magic to act as a sort of shield. You should be very proud Lilly, not only did Harry save Cara, but also saved the rest of the wizarding world by killing Voldemort. He will grow to be very powerful indeed. Now I must go and inform the ministry. Good night to you all and congratulations. The war has ended!"

With that final declaration, Albus Dumbledore stepped back into the fireplace and was off. There was a moment of silence before all four adults were crowding around a little harry laughing and cooing at him. They had completely forgotten the little girl who sat in the chair, tired and hungry, wanting to go home. Little did she know this would become her everyday life.

A/N
Well, this wasn't the best but it is my first book. I hope you enjoyed it so far and thanks for reading. To clear up any confusion, none of the adults was in the house when Voldemort attacked so they all survived, Cara has some special powers that let her survive the curse and her scar is at the top of her neck, Voldemort is dead and Harry's scar is from some shattered glass. Hope this helps. You will find out more about her powers later on.