Passed Out Cold (3)

Dean finally found the courage to go and face his brother again. He stood, still leaning heavily on the wall. Dean went to turn into the hospital room, when a hand was placed on his shoulder. He hoped it was his father, but he was sadly mistaking. Standing behind him was the doctor. 

"Yeah, Doc?" The doctor gave him a small smile. Dean thought it was a nice change from the scowl that Dean saw when he first met the man. 

"I was just coming to speak to you. I'm glad you're out in the hallway." Dean nodded for the man to continue. "As I told you before, your brother has a tumor. That's most likely the reason for his collapse. It's serious, but we caught it early. We have to operate soon. Were you able to contact your father?" Dean shook his head.

"No, sir. I was able to contact my Uncle, though." The doctor nodded. 

"I realize I never introduced myself. My name is Dr. Rogers. I'm an E.R. specialist, so I won't be doing any of the main procedures, but until we can get the neurosurgeon down here, I'll be monitoring his care." Dean tried to take all of the information in, but it was a lot. All the teenager could do was nod absentmindedly.

"He's awake in there. I'm sure you'd like to go in and meet him and talk to him and stuff. I'm Dean, by the way." The doctor smiled tightly and gestured for Dean to go in first, so he opened the door and stepped in. Immediately his eyes went to his brother's tear stained cheeks. Guilt consumed him as he realized he left his brother, right after learning he heard he had a brain tumor. What was he thinking? 

"Hi Sam, I'm Dr. Rogers. How are you feeling?" Sam just shrugged. Dean went and sat in the hard plastic chair to Sam's left. He didn't grab his hand or start stroking his hair, like some chick-flick, he instead placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "I just wanted to introduce myself and explain some things about your condition-" Dean listened to everything the doctor said. Every single thing. 

They talked for around half an hour, before Sam yawned and Dr. Rogers excused himself. Sam fell asleep soon after, but Dean couldn't. He wouldn't. If Sam needed him, he couldn't risk being asleep. He opted to turn on TV, muted of course. He watched the actor's mouth move. He had no clue what was happening, but he didn't turn up the volume.

---

For hours Dean sat, unmoving, though  every so often his eyes would flick to his baby brother. A light knock on the door caught his attention. Dean looked to see Bobby's worried face through the small window in the door. He glanced at the clock and saw that it was only 3:30 in the afternoon. He didn't know what time he called Bobby this morning, but it couldn't have been more than 9 hours. How was he already in Oklahoma, Dean had no clue, but he also didn't care. Dean stood and walked as silently as he could. When he reached the door, opened it, and stepped into the hallway making no noise in the process. It was only after the door was closed that he greeted Bobby.

"Dean, how is he?" Dean ran a hand through his already messed up hair, and looked towards his feet. 

"The doctor said that it's serious, but if it's operated on soon, Sam could be fine. The procedure is minimally invasive and the tumor is still relatively small." Bobby seemed relieved at the news. "The only issue is, we need a parents consent to go through with the procedure." At the mention of parents, Bobby started to look around the hallway and into Sam's hospital room. 

"Where is your old man?" Dean rolled his eyes and scoffed. 

"Probably in a bar somewhere, getting so drunk he can't walk." Bobby's shoulders sagged. He hated John for how he treated the boys. He's a horrible man and an even worse father.

"Well then I'll have to go find him." Dean perked up a little, but not much. Bobby couldn't imagine what he was going through. He was only 16. "That, of course, after I see your brother." Dean nodded and open the door. They crept in silently, Dean taking his seat on Sam's left side again and Bobby pulling up a seat on Sam's right.  

They spoke quietly for a little over half an hour, before they noticed Sam starting to shift on the bed. He groaned quietly and opened his eyes. They landed on Dean first, and Bobby second. He gave them a weak smile. 

"Hey, kid. How you feelin'?" Sam yawned and stretched a little before answering.

"I'm alright. I'm so stuffed full of pain meds, I can't feel a thing." They all chuckled and agreed that Sam was probably right. They all sat around and talked. Not only about the tumor, but about normal things too. Once again, Dean heard a knock at the door. This one wasn't as quiet. 

Standing outside the hospital room door was John Winchester himself. Dean thought he was going to explode. Bobby stood and walked to the door. He pulled it open, but didn't bother to say anything. He just walked back over to his chair and sat back down. John walked in and stood at the foot of Sam's bed. Dean couldn't really read the look on John's face, but to him it almost look judgmental.

"Hi Dad." Sam sounded sick. It was the first time Dean noticed how sick he looked and sounded. It made his stomach flip. Dean sat next to his little brother stone faced. 

"Hey Sammy." Sam scowled. He always hated when his dad called him 'Sammy', it usually meant he was about to apologize for messing up once again. "How are you feeling buddy?" Sam just sighed. He knew how important it was for John to stay and hear all the information so he could get the surgery to have the tumor removed, but he wanted his dad to leave.

"I'm fine. And how are you? I hope your hangover isn't too bad." Everyone in the room was surprised by the sass that came out of the sick child's mouth. 

"You watch your mouth, boy. I'm still your father." Sam rolled his eyes and whispered whatever under his breath. Dean stood up abruptly. He wasn't in the mood for this bickering. 

"Dad, stop. He's literally got a tumor in his brain and you're still trying to demand respect. Get a hold of yourself." John was about to snap at his older son, when Dean spoke again. "Now, I'm going to go get the doctor, so he can give you some information and you can sign some papers." Dean did as he said he would and walked out the door. 

John walked over and sat on the uncomfortable couch next to the large windows. Bobby stayed quiet as he looked between Sam and John. The 12 year old looked defeated and tired, like saying those few words took all his energy. John looked mad, and Bobby suspected that he still wasn't entirely sober. 

"Why don't you rest your eyes, kid? Huh? Nothing going on here." Sam just gave Bobby a small smile and closed his eye. It took barely 5 minutes for his breathing to even and for Bobby to know he was passed out-cold.

"What are you playing at Bobby? You're not their father." John was speaking in a rushed whisper. Bobby arched his eyebrow. 

"I'm more a father than you'll ever be. Just sign the papers and leave again, John. Leave like you always do. I'll pick up the pieces. Like I always do. I can give these boys the life they deserve." John tried to be mad. He really did. He wanted to throw Bobby against the wall, but he couldn't. He knew it was true. He knew he was a bad father, but how do you tell yourself that. The boys are all he had left of Mary. It was bittersweet to look at them.

When John looked back up at Bobby, he had tears in his eyes. Bobby didn't make a comment. John sat forward with his elbows on his knees. "I-" John stopped mid-word, seeing as Dean was at the door with the doctor. 

"Dr. Rogers. This is my father, John Winchester, and my uncle, Bobby Singer." The doctor shook both their hands. None of them spoke above a whisper, until the doctor lead them out into the hallway.

"So have you been caught up?" John nodded at the doctor. "Good, then you were told about the procedure that can save Sam's life." John once again nodded. It seemed like all he could do. "Well, I'm going to introduce you to the surgeon who can give you some of the more specific details. Dean, maybe go get some food." Dean could see he wasn't wanted so he started to walk down the hall. He heard Bobby call his name and heard his footsteps catch up. 

Dean didn't mind. He knew Bobby would be good company and let Dean collect his thoughts, which is exactly what he needed.