Confused and Clumsy

"Witches are the worst." Dean slammed the Impalas door closed and leaned back in his seat. Sam was beside him looking in their father's journal. This witch has been surprisingly hard to take down, not to mention, more powerful than any other they'd ever seen. Dean put the car in drive and took off down the road. The brothers planned on heading back to their motel room, showering and cleaning up, before leaving the state. 

They were about 10 minutes from the motel when Sam finally broke the silence. "So get this," Dean glanced at his brother, then back to the road. "I think that witch we fought was part of a large group of witches." Sam looked up from the book and towards his brother. 

"So... what?" Dean didn't really understand why his brother was doing all of this research. "The monster is dead, we did our job. It's done now." Sam shook his head. Something wasn't right. The witch never spoke in the singular. Only in the plural. She only ever said "we" or "us". 

"Something doesn't feel right about it Dean. And look at this information in Dad's journal. 'Witches are known to gather in groups to increase their power. The longer the group is together, the stronger they are. After a long time of practicing magic, their minds become one. That's called a legeonas.' The Greek word for legion." The Impala pulled into the parking lot of the motel and they climbed out of the car. 

Pulling the door open, Dean walked into the moldy kitchen and sat at the table. "I'll ask again, so what? What does this have to do with anything?" Sam sighed. Sometimes he had no idea how he was related to such an idiot.

"They're going to be mad Dean. We killed one of their own." A look of understanding came over Dean and he stood up.

"Then we should hurry up and shower, so we can skip town. I don't want to be here when they figure out it was us, if they don't already know." Dean walked towards the bathroom and shut the door. Sam heard the water turn on, but he only continued to read. He read something about there being a mourning period. 

He didn't get the chance to read anymore before he was knocked out cold and hitting the floor. Behind Sam stood a woman. She looked like she was in her early 50's, but she was actually thousands of years old. The woman began to chant quietly under her breath. Dean shut off the water to the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. He stepped out of the bathroom and saw the woman standing over Sam's sleeping body. 

"Hey!" Dean found his gun and pointed it to the witch. She immediately stopped cursing Sam, and instead disappeared in a cloud of dust. Dean rushed to his brother's side and checked for a pulse. When he felt the soft beating of Sam's heart, he left out a huge breath and stood up.

Dean got dressed and walked back over to Sam. The younger brother was laying his side, out-cold. His breath was rising and falling steadily. Dean just watched his chest for a few minutes. It scared him to see that woman over a very not-awake Sam. Dean turned and started to pack the motel room up a bit. 

Sam breathed in deeply, completely filling his lungs. His head hurt, so he didn't open his eyes just yet. Dean heard his brother wake up and turned quickly to look at him. "Sam. You awake." Sam nodded and opened his eyes. Dean watched as his brother blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes. 

"Is it dark in here?" Dean's stomach sunk. It wasn't dark at all. It was late afternoon, but the sun still shone through the window curtains. "Dean. Is it dark in here?" Panic laced his words and Dean walked around the bed so he could be closer to Sam.

"It's not dark in here Sammy." Dean watched as his brother's eyes flicked around the room, not focusing on any one place. Sam started to try and sit up, but he seemed dizzy. "Slow down Sam." Dean helped his brother sit up. He moved to sit in front of Sam. Dean put his little brother's hands on both of his shoulders. 

"I can't see anything Dean. What happened?" Sam spoke quickly. He obviously was very unsettled not being able to see anything.

"Well I stepped out of the bathroom and you were being 'voo-doo-ed' by an old lady. I cut her off though, she wasn't able to finish the spell." Sam nodded and his eyes settled in his lap. 

"What do we do?" Dean thought for a moment. What do they do? Sam couldn't see anything. 

"Well- ummm- We still have to leave. And you still need to shower." Sam didn't move or say anything for a few seconds. Eventually, he nodded. "Okay, we are going to stand on three." Dean moved to Sam's side and took his arm. "1... 2...3" They both got to their feet with minimal effort. Sam swayed slightly, but Dean caught him.

"Dean?" Sam's voice was low. Dean could feel his brother's gigantic frame shaking in his arms. He couldn't imagine not being able to see. Growing up they were taught to be afraid of the dark, and Sam's stuck in it. 

"What is it, Sammy?" Sam's head turned to face Dean's voice. 

"What if I'm like this forever?" Once again, Dean felt he was going to be sick. What if Sam was like this forever? He wouldn't be able to hunt. That's all they know. 

"I don't know Sam... just don't get ahead of yourself. It's been half an hour." Sam nodded. 

After a long process of getting Sam around the cramped room to the bathroom and getting him showered- yes, dean sat on the toilet seat handing Sam the things he needed- they finally got out the door. Sam sat in the passenger seat with his eyes closed. He found this helped to calm him down. It's like nothing changed.

They drove for hours, talking on and off like nothing was different. That was always Sam's favorite part of the Impala. Having a home. Having a place where, even if it was only for a few hours, everything seemed okay. Eventually, Sam noticed that they haven't spoken about where they are going.

"Dean? Where are we going?" Dean noticed how much calmer Sam seemed after a few hours of driving.

"We are going to Bobby's. He might be able to help." Sam nodded to himself and they plunged back into comfortable silence. Sam realized he had no idea what was going on outside the car. He didn't even know what time it was.

"Dean, what state are we in? And what time is it?" Dean looked over to his brother and scrunched his eye brows together. Reminding himself that Sam couldn't see, Dean looked back at the road.

"We are in Macon, Georgia. Right smack-dab in the middle of the state. And it's around 5:30 in the evening. I was thinking about stopping for dinner soon, the map says there's a diner off the next exit." Sam agreed about getting dinner and they rode on. 

After stopping to pick up dinner, they were off again. It was another 12 hours until they got there, so after 3 more hours of driving, Dean pulled to the side of the road. 

"I was thinking that we could stop here. It's a little spot off the main highway." Sam smiled at his brother. 

"Do you want the front or the back?" Dean just shrugged. They both sat in silence  before Sam finally releaized what probably happened. Sam rolled his sightless eyes and looked towards his brother. "Did you just shrug? Seriously?" Sam threw him a Signature Winchester Bitch-face™.

"No. I didn't shrug. I wouldn't do that." Sam let out a breathy chuckle.

"Do you want the front seat or the back seat?" Dean grumbled something about Sam being blind and going to the back. Sam heard the driver side door open and close. He also heard the door in the back seat open. Sam felt Dean climb into the car. 

"Good night, Sam." 

"Good night, Dean."