twenty- two • through the eyes...

Magsimula sa umpisa

He ignored her, and Simon gazed at him, pained. "I shall see you at dawn."

He led his sister home, claiming of "headache."

It would not be Anthony, unless he managed to involve everyone else within the family, and naming Benedict his second, he made him promise to conform to a respectable marriage with his wife, in the chance he were to die on the field against Simon Hastings.

•••

Upon his arrival home, his stress hit him, as one would suspect. Once entering his room, he avoided all connection with Nola. Knowing if he were to even touch her, he would back out.

He knew she would be angry at him, and he knew, judging by the tears already falling down her cheeks, that he could not break her heart more.

With pain in his heart, he gave into rest, mentally preparing for the pain he was possibly about to endure.

•••

At dawn, Benedict and him arrived to the field.

Anthony began to shake in fear, terrified of Nola ever gracing his mind, and surely, he thought of her every single step her took towards her cousin.

Before he knew it, Anthony stood face to face with the Duke of Hastings. "For what it is worth, I am sorry." Simon stated, sincerely.

Due to his hard head, "your apology is worth nothing to me."

The ten step countdown began.

One: Anthony had always feared death

Two: Nola had been afraid to love him, and he had the gall to pull a stunt like this while she was peacefully at home, asleep in their bed.

Three: He would never see her again.

Four: His heart began to race, looking straight forward,

Five: In death, would Nola forgive him?

Six: Simon, his dearest friend... was it worth it?

Seven: For Daphne's honor, it was.

Eight: He would never have the privilege to gaze upon Nola's face ever again.

Stop, Anthony. Stop!

Nine: He must not fear death. Nola will be taken care of.

Ten.

He turned, his body shaking in pure terror.

Simons gun aimed towards the sky, his... aimed towards the heart. Yet, you could never rely on that, with his awful aim.

He closed his eyes.

The gunshot went off, and the neigh of a horse appeared.

"Nola!" Simon screamed, and Anthony's eyes shot open, seeing her on the ground.

He froze, but his feet seemed to take off.

"Nola!" He screamed, feeling as if he returned to his body, and began running to assist the young girl. Angrily, Daphne pushed him out of the way.

"Nola?" She cried, "Nola! Answer me, please." The girl hiked herself up on her forearms. Panic filling her face when she realized her position.

"Oh, good God." Simon let out a sigh of relief, embracing the girl, who only shoved him back in response.

"Are you hurt?" He frantically questioned, gazing over her figure for any blood. When he received no response, he yelled, "tell me!" If she was in pain, it was his fault.

"I am perfectly well," she spat, rising to her feet. "No thanks to you two idiots!" His heart ached, seeing her glossy eyes, and rosy cheeks from the cold air.

"What are you playing at?" He screamed at his her, gripping her shoulders. Yet, she refused to meet his gaze, angering him even more.

He truly didn't know if it was anger, though, or just pure fear.

"Says the man who just shot at me!" She mocked, removing herself from his grasp.

"You rode into the middle of a duel!" He retaliated, running his hand through his hair.

He kept his attention on her, knowing she would be in more pain if it had been the other way around, and his return home... was in a casket. The moment he saw her on the ground, he thought the worst.

He thought her dead.

And, if she had been killed, it would be by him: The man who was supposed to protect her.

"A moment..." she whispered to her cousin.

"Nola..."

"A moment!" Simon stepped away, Daphne smacking his arm as they went to their own corner. "A duel." Nola stated, blankly. "And you left without a word... do you think of me so little?" She cried, shoving the man. "How dare you!" Tears ran rapidly down her cheeks, and he longed to reach forward and clear her face.

"Nola..." he began, "I am so... so sorry." His face dropped as he noticed her hand placement. On her abdomen. "God... did you get hit?" He yelled, stalking up to her and examining the area. Truly he had not hit her? She would've said something, yelled or screamed, at least.

"No, Anthony!" She stepped away from him, and let her arms drop. No blood in sight, and he was thankful for it. "I guess it's just motherly instinct..."

Motherly Instinct... His eyes widened, instantly catching her choice of words. He longed to reach forward, and embrace her. To comfort her, but he knew it would only anger her more. His child was in her, and she thought him to die. Before he was given any chance to speak,

"There will be no need to resume." Daphne stated, blankly, as Simon returned to the group. "The Duke and I are to be married." Nola's eyes widened, and her gaze moved to Simon. Surprised, he turned into the direction of Duke, trying to read his tone, and see if what his sister stated was true.

Good God.