[c][h][a][p][t][e][r] [1]

The room was large, sheets of purple shrouded the bed in the corner, deep blues of curtain draped a window by the bed, hiding the gloom of an afternoon. The warm green carpet wrapped my feet in an embrace and the walls were stacked with images and sculptures, by the bed was a large wardrobe made of handsome dark wood. Beams of white shone from a pretty lightbulb, little beads of glass scattered on its exterior.

Female footsteps padded from behind me, and an elegantly dressed hand rested on my shoulder. Forcing myself to relax I handed my parents a small smile.

Her honey coloured hair danced around her beautiful glowing face, a small nose and deep ivy green eyes, she wore the Purple Uniform, deep robes of dark purple and neat black shoes. And her black ring, embedded with a purple gem on a slender finger.

She slid back into neutral.  My father shrugged at me," You're always doing something wrong daughter, but you will be a Purple."

They had no emotions, no intentions. Nothing. My insides collapsed with regret. 

I eased my face into one of appreciation, "Course Dad, Mum. I love it!"

I reached for the tin of salve Deborah had handed me yesterday and slumped into the floor.

Five days.

Sighing, I worked the minty cucumber slivers on the white stripped skin on my palms.

Five days.

Five days-

Stop it.

The cool green stuff eased the squealing pain and I grinned. It really was worth it. That second last mission with the Navore twins. I stifled a sob as I thought of the next few days. Last days.

Five days until I become a monster, mind controlled as a Red-

The bell rang in the song of chirpy birds Grandma had always favoured. She really was a queen, a Purple hiding a Red, she'd told me herself the night of her death by placing what they called 'dangerous' thoughts. And of course, she died because of them. She drank the poison because she didn't want the torture, she didn't want me to see her screams as they killed her.

Her faint breathing had slowed, and she kissed my cheek gently," You are someone and you are going to do something in this kingdom of torture, make me proud Faranza Sunstar, bring back America. I love you. "

And the beautiful stunning lady died hugging me, her soft breaths fading into nothing. As she fell she mouthed the three words.

Pearls of silver lined my eyes. The one person who loved me. Dead.

Bring back America.

That was also why I took those beatings, so many beatings.

"He's the paper boy for Hillary Clarkson,"I sang the excuse, the fake Purple friend from the other side of America.

I nodded back at her and lied," I did well on my Thought Test this week. " I twisted my eyes so they were like green calm.

She smiled from downstairs, satisfied, and then walked back into the living room.

I strode down the coral staircase, the clink of my black boots sounding through the house and I stopped at the door, noting the stillness of the house.

I didn't look left or right just forwards, fulfilling my duty of perfect Purple, striding to the glimmering door, well aware of the two pairs of eyes watching me, under order of the black rings. Solid black rings. One I'd be getting soon-

A curly golden haired boy in scrawling ivy green clothes and a black ring with a small coil of green stood at the outside of the door. He bowed, sparks of annoyance in his silver eyes.. Alarie Adalah kept his face normal and said in a business tone," Hillary Clarkson Miss requests your company at the Daily Entertainment. "

It was Sunday, pleasure day for the Blues and Purples of America, they all were running to watch the Daily Entertainment.

I gave him a jerk of my head, a hint of a smile on my face.

We walked the curving roads, beautiful grand towers of Purples and Blues. The tall C building arched upwards into the grey sky, made of the shattered embers of the ones they killed. My Grandma in there somewhere. Sending a message, that there was no light they wouldn't put out.

" -Astoria and Darian got me to ask for them how you are after your last ... mission. They're going to meet us in the Entertainment. " Alarie's voice jerked me into reality. I didn't try to think too long how they were going to get in. It was obvious and dangerous and stupid.

"Fine. I'm fine. " I tried not to look at my hands, squealing in agony.

Then I looked to the pretty cottages of Greens. We then passed the dark tumbling road slowly crumbling towards Hell, The holes of the Reds, Oranges and Yellows scattered the sides of the road. We took care to look innocent until we were out of sight. Talking too much here would get you killed. I averted my eyes and ignored the world, just staring at the path as I stumbled, the path littered with dead.

I tried to think away from the bare screams of terror echoing from the Daily Entertainment Theatre- Of death.

Screeches and cries squealed from behind the small circular door, rusted shackles scattered the black dead floor, streaks of black and red smeared over the ground.

I glared at the burnt floor.

"Five days," said Alarie attempting a grin, but his eyes were streaked with murmurs of sadness. He reached for my hand and held his hiss as the green in his ring faded to a flickering orange flame, mental pain.

He stared in horror at the stripped white coils of skin hanging off my palms, and fingered them gently.

Alarie opened his mouth, his face contorted in anger, rage and sadness.

My head throbbed with yanks of pain (it was a Cleansing, designed to force you out of 'bad' thoughts, taking place every now and then) but I choked," Stop, getting angry isn't going to do anything. Nothing is. I did it for someone who deserved the love. " My voice went low," It was a little boy. "

He sighed, silenced but then whispered," You can't go through with today, I won't let you. Not like this. " He was quiet but his voice was firm.

I shrugged," I'm going to be a Crazy in five days I may as well buy someone else time. Hope. "

" The plan's crazy! No way in Hell is it going to work-" He raised his voice, taking care not to express what our 'plan' was at the curious eyes staring our way.

Just the thought of the plan set my mind in another earthquake of a Cleansing. There was always a Cleansing going on in my mind, always a faint throbbing that I ignored, got used to.

" Look Alarie, I've only got today, my parents are keeping me the days before I turn a Crazy and they want to make sure I stay Purple. Do some family ritual thing, I don't know. This might be the last time and I want to make it count. " I kept any tremble from my speech to try reassure him.

Alarie paused walking and squeezed my white hands gently, "No Fara, nothing is going to happen to you- "Alarie winced as his ring shimmered the black of the President's house.

I gave him a tired smile, "Last mission."

I turned around to the enterance, and there he was. Jet black hair fell from a tall figure's head and black, violet tinted eyes painted on a pale face, the real colour of Evil. His eyes lit up with amusement. The President's son.

"Perfect," muttered Alarie darkly.

Perfect indeed.