My phone buzzed, an alert covering Amelia's face. 'STR Info Night', it said. I cursed. "I have a meeting, I forgot." I dismissed the alert.

"What meeting?" Amelia asked curiously.

I packed my things. "A frat thing-" I stopped, kicking myself.

Amelia sighed disapprovingly. "I don't know about that, Jack."

"It's just an info night. I'm not rushing until next semester, anyway. Too much going on right now. I missed fall rush already."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Amelia, come on. You sound like my mom."

She chuckled lightly. "I just don't want you to get hazed on top of everything that's happening. The team already hazed you, right?"

"It wasn't that bad. Just lunch. It's not like they made me strip or anything. Besides, your roommate's in a sorority, isn't she? You said she looked happy."

"She looks happy. Greek Life isn't as big at Waterford. And I feel like women's clubs are at least a bit safer."

"What do you mean?" I started out of the library, holding my phone.

Amelia raised a brow. "Jack. You men are a whole other species."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll be fine. It's just a little meeting."

"You skipped work for that?"

"No, my shift ended two hours ago." I left the library building, heading for the shuttle bus stop. The sky was beautiful, moonlight illuminating thin clouds.

"Just be careful, okay? Frats... they've got a reputation," Amelia warned me.

"Not every frat guy's the same. Sam rushed."

"Do your parents know you're rushing?"

I licked my lips. "... They will."

"How are you gonna explain the dues if you get in one?"

"I'm paying my own dues with my money."

"Wasn't your dad in a frat?"

"Yeah, and he says he regretted it because they hazed so much. But Greenfield's different."

Amelia seemed doubtful, but she said nothing. "Okay. Anyway..." She yawned. "I think I'll call it a night and go back to my dorm. My roommate should be out working all night." She took her phone as she put away her stuff, her video wobbling. "Let me know how it goes with Diana, okay?"

I sighed tiredly. "Yeah."

"Don't be too hard on her, okay?"

"I'm trying not to. It's just... everything's been so difficult with her around."

"It's not her fault."

"I know, but it's still hard. My parents just want another daughter. I don't want to call her my sister."

"You don't have to. Amy is still Amy. You're not replacing anyone. Just call Diana your friend." She started leaving her area. The ceiling turned into a night sky above her. "Think about what Amy would do if she were here."

Her words made me pause. How would she have treated her? She'd be thrilled at the prospect of having a sister in the first place. And being her... well, double...

But the thing was, if she were here, none of us would have a problem with Diana.

God, what do I do? I know I haven't talked to you enough, but what do I do? Please, I want to be better. Why does it have to hurt?