Chapter Forty-Six - Not One of Us

Start from the beginning

"Well, as you know," I start, I glance over at Tyde for assistance in finding the words. "We have had some concerns with Mollie's latest behavior." I look back at Aria. "Recently Mollie has started seeing a specialist." I stop and wait, anticipating Aria needing to process the information.

"Oh... wow." She says, her eyebrows raise slightly. She moves her hands off the table. "A-and how is that going?"

"Wait." I say surprised by her reaction, or more lack of one. Before I can say anything else, the waiter returns, carrying a tray with our order. I stay quiet as he places our drinks and sandwich on the table. I wait until he leaves before continuing, "Is that all you have to say?"

"Yeah." Aria says taking a sugar packet off her saucer. She shakes the packet a little before ripping the top and pouring the contents into her coffee. "I mean, I kind of already knew."

"What do you mean you knew?" I ask. I look over at Tyde, who is stirring in her fourth creamer. She lifts her coffee cup and takes a sip. "Did you tell her?"

Tyde doesn't meet my eyes, she sets her coffee cup down on her saucer. "I didn't exactly tell her." She finally says. ".. didn't exactly have to, after all only a parent or guardian could fill out the paperwork..."

That's when the realization dawns on me, the detail I neglected to even consider. I have become adjusted to those around us referring to Tyde and I as Mollie parents, the fact escaped my mind as to the difference in how the law refers to Tyde's versus my relationship to Mollie. "Hold on." I say processing everything. "You," I look at Tyde, "went behind my back and took Mollie to see a specialist with her help." I point over at Aria and turn my attention to her. "And you kept it a secret." I push my sandwich and coffee away from me.

"It's not as terrible as you make it sound." Aria quietly says picking up her coffee cup.

"No, I consider this to be quite a terrible betrayal of trust." I say, I lean back, the gears in my mind are in hyperdrive trying to navigate through my feelings.

"Dominick." Tyde says, "we've been through this, it's done and closed. Let it stay that way."

I take a deep breath. "Fine." I say, taking in a couple more breaths. "How about you finish telling it then, that is assuming Aria doesn't already know."

Tyde sighs, "Alright Dominick." She says. "Anyway, Dr. Rogue, the specialist, sees Mollie showing signs of anxiety that might have been brought on by Mollie perceived as trauma. We have spoken with the daycare director, Mollie's teachers, and Dominick's family to try to figure out if they could think of anything that might have upset Mollie. We're wondering if you can think of anything. Anything at all that she might have witnessed or heard while with you that could have upset her, at the start of this year or right at the end of last."

"No, nothing." Aria answers almost directly behind Tyde getting the last syllable out. Aria takes a sip of her coffee.

"Okay, Maybe take a minute or two to really think about it. Is there a chance she might have overheard or seen someone at the complex that could have scared her. Maybe someone shot off fireworks for New Years and it startled her?"

"No, I'm sorry but there's nothing I can think of." Aria says setting down her cup. "I live in a nice area, near good people. I love Mollie and have done all I can for her from the moment she was born. Do you think I would even risk her being in a situation that could upset her? Knowing all you know, how can you even think that?" She doesn't raise her voice but her tone is clipped.

"Whoa Aria." I say re-entering the conversation, suddenly feeling cooled down. "No one is blaming you, you know that, don't you?"

"Of course, no one is blaming you." Tyde emphasizes.

"Sometimes she gets up from a nap and comes into the living when I'm watching a movie or something. She's caught glimpses of some action scenes. Could she have possibly accidentally seen something that scared her on the television?" I ask.

"No it's not possible. I don't ever watch something that she could get scared by, even when she's not over." Aria says. "If she got upset by something, it is not anything I know about."

"Aria, you don't need to get defensive." I say.

"I disagree." Aria fires back in response. "It seems that I do because even though I have, now, told you four times, I have no idea what could have upset Mollie. You two won't take that answer."

"You have to understand this isn't an attack on you. We're all looking out for Mollie and want to do what's best for her." Tyde says.

"You do remember that the judge decided I was best." Aria says, her eyes are cold and narrowed. "Not you." she says looking at Tyde. "Or even you." she says looking at me. She looks away and  takes out a five-dollar bill out of her purse. She places the money on the table beside her unfinished coffee cup as she stands up, "I am her legal guardian, because the judge saw I was what was best and it is by my judgement that she is with you two now."

"Aria," I start, my mind trying to recover from and formulate a response to her verbal blows. "wait." My hand stretches out a bit to stop her but she brushes past.

   Tyde follows right behind Aria while I hurriedly get money out of my wallet to pay the rest of the bill. My hands shake and I continually have to recount the short stack of one-dollar bills to ensure I am giving the right amount. My eyes continually glancing over to look out the window where I see Tyde has stopped Aria. I keep losing focus and having to start over with countig out the dollar bills. Scr*w this! I give up counting and throw the stack of bills down on the table.

  When I step out, I catch the very ending of Tyde and Aria's conversation. "-need you!" Aria yells as she shoves Tyde away from her. Aria and I's eyes briefly meet,  her venomous glare sends chills through my body. She turns on her heel and storms away.

Tyde turns around, her eyes have become glassy as tears fill her eyes. I want to ask but I know it's not the time. Without another word, Tyde and I make our way to the car. The car engine and Tyde crying softly, holding a hand over her mouth to muffle the sound, are the soundtrack to the ride home.

***AUTHOR'S NOTE**

  I apologize for another delay, and I thank you all for your patience. This chapter took a long time to write and required more energy than expected.

Next chapter will be posted (hopefully) by next Friday, which will bring the curtain down on "Act 1" of this story (the first half).

I will go on a brief month-long posting-hiatus to work on the opening to the second half/Act 2. This will allow for me to get adjusted to the changes to my schedule.

I apologize for the additional delay and hope everyone will find the return worth waiting for.

I will be doing another Q&A - which will be posted following the end of Act 1/the first half -. If you have any question, comment them or message them to me. They can be about events in the first-half, characters, writing stuff, etc. and I will answer them if I can (without giving away spoilers).

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, do whatever you want

THANK YOU FOR READING! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED!