3. Release

John! John! Murphy! Are you alright?

My eyes flutter open and I see Kate kneeling beside me. My head and throat hurts like hell. I try to speak but I can only let out a croak, When I try to clear my throat I almost vomit.

"Did you hit me? I say as I try to sit up.

"It was all I could think of doing to wake you up, for a minute there I thought you wouldn't" it looks like she's been crying, when my eyes start to adjust to everything I notice she has a split lip and cut on her upper cheek.

I try and sit up but the world seems to be spinning. "Who did you piss off?" Knowing the answer already. "And what the hell did they do to me?"

"They didn't like that I finally stood up to them". There was a slight pause before she carried on "I don't know for definite what they did to you, far as I can tell it was just to knock you out so they could move you out here".

I must of been really out of it cause I only just realise that I'm outside, in the shade of some trees. I'm guessing it's early evening because of the fading sun giving way to the velvety dark sky.

"Why am I outside?"

"You only just noticed that, took you long enough" she says. Her hair is up in a loose bun. It looks good on her. I push the thought away. She's a grounder after all.

"Yeah well I was just stabbed with a needle and hit in the face, so forgive me for not being 100% myself just yet"

"Stabbed is a strong word, and you're outside because they let you go" she says it like she doesn't quite believe what she's saying.

"They just let me go, just like that" I find it hard to believe that they just let me go, it must be a trick or trap. I'm still not sure what they injected me with either, no matter what Kate says.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't trust a grounder, they always have an agenda. There's probably a reason they let you go".

There are so many questions running around in my head, I don't know where to start. "Are you a grounder because you don't seem to be with them or like them" I don't wait for a response before I ask "and why do you speak English and not the language Grounders speak? I ignore the most important question for a second.

She takes a minute to answer. "I am with the grounders but I wasn't always with them. I lived with my parents and brother, we had a little settlement not far from here along with several other people. We tried to stay out of the way of the grounders, mountain men and reapers, and we did for a while at least. That's why I speak English. I was brought up to by my parents" She stops talking and looks down at something in her hands.

"What happened? Where are you parents? What made you join the Grounders?" I can't seem to stop the questions coming out. It must be the hit to the head.

She gets up and leans against a tree. "I've said all I want to say" I know the subjects closed for now anyway.

So I ask her the question I've been wanting to ask since I woke up "why did you help me? Is that why you are out here too?"

"I am out here with you because they kicked me out, not that I needed much convincing to leave" she throws something down at my feet and I go to pick it up. It's a knife. That must be what I saw in her hands.

"Now get up. We got a long journey, you'll need that for protection" she starts to walk away from me.

I stand up but my legs feel weak so It takes me a minute longer than I'd like "why, where are we going?"

She doesn't even turn around when she answers something I wasn't expecting "back to your camp".