Chapter 1

I sunk into my couch with a long sigh. Med school, the first month of it. "I want this, I want this," I reminded myself as I massaged my forehead. I looked over at my backpack with the bucket full of homework inside. I groaned and reached for the handle, dragging it over. I silently grumbled to myself about the amount of work, regardless that I headed into that career full knowing what I was getting myself into. Each textbook made a loud, slapping sound as I removed it from my back and placed it on the table in front of me.

I glanced down when my stomach growled. "Mmm. I shouldn't study on an empty stomach." Standing up, I walked the five steps it took to get to my tiny kitchen. My eyes roamed the cupboards and open shelves as if I had an abundance of choices when in truth, there wasn't. About a minute later, I settled for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was surprised that I wasn't sick of it by now. I took a bite of it, not as annoyed as I might have sounded, although I knew at some point I would get sick of them. I quietly hummed to myself, leaning against the wall. I pulled out my ponytail and waited a moment for my curly black hair to fall around my shoulders.

As I moved toward the living room area, I glanced at my apartment kitchen window before doing a double take. I moved closer.

A woman- no, a girl, only about sixteen or seventeen, very pregnant, screaming for help as a man, packed with muscle, gripped her wrist.

I dropped my sandwich, opened my window, and slid out as I was only on the second floor. I used the fire escape to aid in getting down, but my bare feet slapping against the hard group sent a sharp pain up my legs. I ran toward the two, not entirely sure how I was to help her. "Hey!" I yelled.

The man turned just in time for me to kick his tender area.

As soon as he was on his knees, I grabbed his head in my hands and rammed my knee into his face.

He fell to the side, groaning. "You're going to regret that!" he snapped in an unfamiliar accent.

"Not gonna stick around for that long," I said, grabbing the girl's arm and pulling her inside my apartment building. Good thing my key to get into the building was still shoved in my pocket. I didn't slow until we were in the elevator. I took a few deep breaths. "I just did that; I can't believe I did that-" I shook my head and looked at the girl. Now that I was beside her, I realized that she was a good few inches taller than me. "Are you all right?"

Tears ran down her dirt, streaked cheeks. "Thank you," she whispered. Her accent was the same as the man's.

I offered a small smile. "No problem." It was then I noticed her clothes. They were torn and dirty, something that looked like gold stitching peeping out from different places. The style of the dress she wore was almost medieval. I thought back to the man before realizing that he was also wearing clothes similar to that period. "Nice dress..."

She looked down. "Not anymore..." She ran her fingers along the rips and tears, tears forming. Just then, her hand flew to her forehead, and she groaned.

I quickly lurched forward and caught her when she nearly toppled over. "Hey, stay with me now." I glanced down at her scrapes. Those did not look good- I shook my head. No, not again. Ever since I was young, I'd always wanted to be a doctor to help people. Also, because at some point, I thought at a touch or even just looking at someone, a tiny voice in my head would diagnose the person and tell me what was wrong. I slung her arm around my shoulders.

When the elevator doors opened, I swung my head back and forth, making sure no one was there before helping to my room, which thankfully was unlocked. I ensure to lock it behind us.

Once inside, I let her to my single tiny couch and helped her lay down. "Are you okay?"

She nodded.