Chapter 12

Perm, Russia

Perm, Russia

Crystal was aware that she looked like a bloodthirsty warrior when she reached the fortress near the Ural Mountains.
She had surrendered to her destiny, but it didn't mean that she had to humiliate herself and show her tears to the people she hated the most because they forced her to destroy something good like Tenet.

"Crystal? Am I dreaming? I didn't expect you to be back" Damaris said arrogantly, welcoming at the gate with a bunch of his men. They all smelled of alcohol.

"I sent you a message" she hissed.

Damaris picked his phone and winced "That's true. I missed it. Come, I hope you catch our boss in a good mood".

Crystal followed him in the heart of the fortress, where The Korol was polishing the frame with the picture of the Russian president.

"Crystal!" he exclaimed clapping his hands at her and waving to approach him "My diamond girl. I hope everything is alright".

"Not so alright, I fear" she said firmly, stepping closer.

"Oh do tell me" he encouraged peering at her and waved a hand around "And forgive the mess, I received an important guest earlier. You would deserve a celebration too".

"I'm not into parties" she replied dismissively.

"So what's making you so grim?" he asked, leaning comfortable against his throne.

She inhaled deeply and held his gaze "I feel that my service is no use to you anymore. I want to resign".

It was hard to surprise that kind of man, but The Korol looked taken aback by her words "Are you kidding me?".

Stiffening at his dangerous reaction, she hurried to explain "You got what you wanted. The devices, data about Tenet. Why am I still trapped there? I don't want to wait until February 2. You can appoint anyone for that execution you planned".

He scoffed shaking his head faintly "It's not something you can decide".

"This is my life" she said strongly "I did what you asked me to do and I got the money. Now I want to change the contract. I'll keep working for the Rosatom, but not as your assassin".

Finally he recognized the determination in her decision, but he kept shaking his head in disapproval "Let's pretend that free will exists. It's a pity because you are one of our best spies. Damaris is better at slaughtering, but he hasn't the female charm that you have".

He scanned her impudently, but she didn't budge.
"I think I can give my best by working in a lab. I risked a lot as a spy and I don't want to keep teasing my luck forever" she added trying to reasonate with him.

"Yes, let's pretend that's all" he said with a mocking grin "If there's a way to erase all you know about my organization...".

She resisted to the urge to swallow at the allusion and said like taking a vow "I'll keep my mouth shut. I have no interest in becoming a danger to you. After sacrificing so much to serve you".