Chapter 7

Tenet camp, New York

Dim lights in the underground woke some arcane feelings.

In that silent chapel, Crystal could hear the weight of her breathing and her own heartbeat, as her body relaxed, sitting on the wooden bench.
Time lost meaning in a place so mysterious and welcoming.
She tried some silent prayers, in case there was someone invisible who could know about her real situation and maybe help her.

She lowered her hands when she realized that she wasn't alone anymore.
But she didn't move when she heard soft steps approaching her.
She had begged for a savior.
But that wasn't the kind of response she expected.

"Crystal?" Neil called with surprise "How do know about this place?".

She turned to watch him moving closer and she decided to stand up, confessing "I followed you, once".

Neil pondered her gaze, then chuckled with amusement and nodded at the altar "So what do you think? Is it too creepy?".

"No, it's a blessing" she said confidently, standing next to him to watch the few lights "The silence, the peace. It doesn't mean you have to believe in any religion. It's just... finding some peace of mind".

"Exactly" Neil turned to stare at her with admiration, but when she crossed it, she looked away and ignored it "Do you belong to a family of believers?".

"I have no family" she whispered, resting her eyes on the lights to get the strength to mention it without turning emotional, but she felt her words were choking her "I have no one. Or nobody wants me".

She stiffened when she felt his fingers tapping her chin, making her head turn to cross his penetrating gaze.

"You have one now" he said strongly, adding to avoid misunderstandings "Tenet is your family".

She smiled with gratitude and turned to stare again at the altar, moving the spotlight of the conversation on him "Do you come here because of Heath?".
It was a low blow, she knew that. It was like stabbing him.
She heard him gasp.
He didn't expect it.

"Also" he murmured as reply, crossing his arms in an attempt to keep himself as a whole.

She turned to glance at his rigid expression "Do you think of using the inversion thing to change that?".

"Sometimes I do" he confessed with an apologetic smile "But it's not that simple. And months passed".

"What's happened's happened" she murmured "We always want to change things, thinking that with a second chance we can make our past better. When actually it can only go worse".

Neil stared at her for while in silence.
She caught a glint of confusion and maybe adoration in his eyes.

"Are there many things you would like to chance about your past?" he asked trying to sound delicate.
"Yes, quite many" she said firmly.
Everything, she bitterly wished to correct.