Chapter 2

Having Ives as a friend was a valuable resources.

After he introduced her to her new, cozy flat, she finally got to stay on her own, rehearsing the events of that first day of direct contact with the enemy.

She phoned Ives to get some instructions on how to dress and where to go on the following day.
He didn't want to spoil too much, but in the morning he picked her at her own flat and made her jump on a jeep, that looked out of place in the trafficked roads of the city.
Ives drove skillfully, until they reached the sea.

Of course Tenet couldn't have its headquarters in a large city like New York.

Maybe in Manhattan?
Crystal expected something like Alcatraz, some fortress similar to the one in Perm.

But since she wasn't officially recruited yet, she didn't expect to be already introduced the real headquarters.

In fact Ives turned not to Manhattan, but to the smaller Governors Island, stopping by some training camps that looked like any military camp.
As she expected, her shooting skills were tested, then her combat ones.

Ives insisted on duelling with her, although he was going too easy on her.
The level of that training was nothing compared to the tough ones she was used on the other side of the world.

Neil and Barbara were the only other familiar faces she recognized in that camp. The other people kept some distance or pretended that she was invisible.
A secret agency wouldn't welcome new recruit so easily.
She looked around, guessing that the Protagonist was checking on her performances through spying cameras.

After changing the training clothes to more formal ones, Crystal wiped the sweat from her face and amongst the many details that her eyes registered, she noticed some frames with the pitcure of a smiling young agent in his paramilitary uniform.

"Who's that?" she asked Ives, noticing how his liveliness dropped quickly.
"He's name was Heath" he whispered in an uneasy tone "One of our friends we lost".
Crystal kept a respectful silence, then spotted Neil frowning at them some feet away.

"Were they close?" she tried to guess, glancing between the picture and the diffident blond agent.
"What?" Ives slowly connected the links and understood "No. It's not that. It's just a fresh wound. We are still all upset. Someone more than others".
Crystal kept her mouth shut, guessing that her luck was simply caused by the need to recruit someone new to replace that lost soldier.

"Neil!" Ives called loudly, shaking the woman from her numbness "You join us to lunch, don't you?".
She caught the blonde man replying with a shrug.
Ives walked between them and tried any way to flatter Crystal. And maybe also to convert his diffident friend.
"You should have been there" Ives exclaimed after narrating how they met "She was the sexiest. You couldn't believe that someone like her joined the National Service".
Crystal disliked feeling embarrassed.
She caught his staring when he asked "How many years did we work together?".
"Years?" she repeated dismissevely "I think some months. Can't remember accurately how many".
"But what unforgettable months those were, Crys" Ives sighed at his pleasant memories, then leaned to touch her hand "Everyone will soon realize how lucky we are to have you with us".
She glared at the unwanted touch, but forced a smile at him "I hope so. And I insist, I am the lucky one".

Neil didn't intervene much in the conversation. He ate quickly, then checked his phone, announcing "Now, if you're finished, the Protagonist wants to see you".
She swallowed some water to empty her glass and nodded, obeying like a good puppy. Although she feared that trying puppy eyes to have some mercy from him was useless.

"Why do you have to be so rude?" she barely heard Ives hissing at him as she marched in front of them making her heels tip loudly so they believed she couldn't listen to them.
"Do you care?" Neil hissed.
"Yes. She's my friend" Ives insisted.
"My experience teaches me to stay away from pretty faces. Those are the most dangerous ones".
Crystal felt grateful to have them at her back, so they couldn't see her mischievous grin.
When she was little she had been bullied for being short and chubby, now she got the same treatment for the opposite reason.
"So you admit she's gorgeous" Ives teased, mirroring her thoughts.
"I'm not blind" Neil cut off, before jogging to show her what door needed to be opened.

She ignored him when he took the risk to be too close to her to open the door for her.
She sighed with relief only when the door was closed at her back and she could face the Protagonist all alone.

The man was typing on his laptop, but gave up to focus on her.
"So how's your time with us so far?" he asked politely, standing up until she sat in front of him.
"Very pleasant. I can't wait to spend more time with you all" she said with a charming smile.
He smiled back and checked some of his notes "Your physics grades are excellent, you proved that also with the writing test. And also today you showed that you have all the skills that I require for my team".
Crystal held her breath, biting her tongue to keep herself from overreacting.
"My team is more than a secret service" he added as a warning "But you'll find out more about it when you'll be ready. I have to thank Ives for bringing you here. And let me congratulate with you. I'm pleased to welcome you to Tenet".
He stood up and she imitated him, grabbing the hand that he offered her.
"Thank you, sir" she said with sincere gratitude and a firm hand shake.
"To celebrate it properly, can I invite you to dinner tonight?" he suggested with a playful grin "Don't worry, nothing too scary. Just you, Neil and I".
"Of course" she replied without a second thought "I'm honored".
Multiple possibilities popped into her mind. That could be a chance to know those two men better and decide with one was more malleable.
So far the Protagonist was the one to have more points.

"I'm truly happy that you've been accepted" Ives commented after reuniting with her and learning about the news "It's gonna be fun, you can't even imagine it".
I do, she giggled mentally.
"I hope so" she said aloud "You're my only friend here so far. The Protagonist seems a good leader, with no prejudices. While your friend, Neil, isn't it? Well, he looks like he can't stand me".
Letting out her frustration was also fun.
"He's afraid that you'll replace him" Ives scoffed, getting a questioning look from her.
"Are they?" she murmured allusively.
"No" Ives laughed at her insinuation, again "Neil is his right hand and he is jealous of his position".
"I'm not here to steal anything" she protested then spotted the familiar blonde head "I'll go to tell him".

Ives tried to stop her, but she was faster.
Also Neil was surprised to see her appear in front of him, after he had been distracted by some papers he was reading.
"I've been told you're officially one of us" he said to break the awkward moment "Congratulations".
She fashioned a big smile "Thank you, Neil. Listen, I need a favour, I guess. Our boss told me that you're also invited to dinner and I don't know where the place is, so why can't we go together?".
Did it sound like a date?
Neil dropped slightly his jaw, then composed himself again and said quite coldly "I'm not coming, sorry. I'm sure he'll send a cab to pick you up and everything".
Crystal blinked, surprised by how cheekily he could run away.

So change of plan. She had to focus her charm on the Protagonist.
Maybe if she was seducing enough, he would also reveal his real name to her.

In the evening she was shaken by many questions and by the many ways that one night could go.
But keeping her expectations low, she expected the dinner to be just a boring thing, unless her new boss would open up and tell everything about his life and his organization.

The restaurant looked very elitist.
Crystal was satisfied of her own look.
Her friend Sam would boast that any blue dress was perfect on her, so she wore one with a provocative neckline, hiding her talisman in her small bag.
The Protagonist, in an expensive suit, welcomed her like a gentleman.
Being just the two of them made it look like a date, but it wasn't a situation she wasn't accustomed to.

"Didn't you say that also Neil was coming?" she asked with an innocent face, while inside she was grinning at her own audacity.
"It's just the two of us" the older man replied dismissively "Neil had an errand".
She tried to read between the lines and simpered "I understand. Family always comes first".
"He has no family" he corrected her adjusting uncomfortably the collar of his shirt.
"Oh" she commented simply "And what about you, if I may ask?".
"I have one only love. Tenet" he replied with a confident smile "And you? Someone waiting for you somewhere?".
Crystal felt her heart aching a bit. Although she pretended to be proud of her independence and freedom, deep inside she craved for something normal, for someone who truly cared for her and to go back to.
"No. I only have my shadow, that is always with me" she quipped, taking some sips from the champagne that he offered.
In their conversation they shared some past experiences, but she felt they were keeping a balance. She didn't manage to make him more exposed than he did with her.

Back to her flat all alone, she checked that no spying devices were around, then filled her report about her mission.
Phase one was completed.

A/N

Thank you all for reading and if you're enjoying this story please vote and comment 😊