21.

Harry's POV

I hear a knock at the front door. I walk over and pull open the large wooded entrance to see Jane wearing a loose, white blouse with a pink skirt and sandals. Her smiles is bright as she notices me checking her out.

"You look stunning." I compliment, grabbing her hand and leading her to the kitchen.

"Thank you. You don't look bad yourself." She grins. I take her into the kitchen, pouring her a glass of tea.

"So, how do you like the house?" She questions, sipping on her drink.

"It has character alright." I laugh a bit, trying to cover it up with taking a sip of tea.

"Oh, it does, but good character." She reassures me. "My brother used to let me make brownies here while he did the upkeep." I smile as she remembers a memory I'm guessing from her childhood.

"I bet that was nice."

"It was lovely." We chat for a while before I start to make dinner. I let her do the easy things since she assured me that her cooking skills were limited.

"Well, what about the brownie making? You must be good at those." I say, putting the chicken in the oven.

"I am a beast at making brownies." She smiles proudly, flicking her hair off her shoulder dramatically. "But that is about the only thing I can actually make without burning." She giggles and I laugh along with her.

"Would you like some wine?" I ask once we finally settled down with our chicken and grilled veggies.

"I would love some." I get up and grab the box from the cabinet, laughing at myself for actually offering her boxed wine.

"Well, isn't that fancy." She suppresses a laugh.

"The finest there is." I joke, pouring her a glass. The taste isn't bad, but not very good either. "So, did you ever see Anna while your brother was working here?"

"Oh, no, but my brother claimed he saw her one night while he was cleaning that room. He said she was stunning - breath-taking - but very cold, and seemed angry at the world." She explains. "He said he'll never forget the look in her eyes, the hurt. He told me you could tell the girl had been to hell and back."

I take a moment to take in her words, remembering how sad she looked when I talked to her yesterday, but she was also easily irritated.

"That's insane, but believable."

"It really is, but she had every right to be mad." she finishes off her chicken.

"And why is that?" I wonder, leaning further into the table.

"Her parents had high expectations for her, ones she felt she couldn't fulfil, but they insisted that their children would excel in life." She takes a sip of her drink. "The poor girl had the weight of the world on her shoulders, yet her parents just added more. She became depressed, causing her to fail in her classes. Of course that just angered her parents even more, to know their child was failing, so they pushed harder." She explains, like she has told the story a million times.

"Wow, that's terrible. How do you know all of this again?"

"It's all in the books. I read a lot and find her to be very interesting. Family and close friends of hers were interviewed, her parents would have never admitted their child had depression, the Sextons were supposed to be perfect. Not a flaw was found in that family until her death." I think on everything Jane had said in the last five minutes and find this house to be even more intriguing than I thought.

"Well, thank you for having me over for dinner, it was beyond lovely, even the boxed wine." She giggles.

"I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you can join me for a proper date sometime."

Jane nods, saying, "I would love that."

I tell her goodbye before she leaves down the driveway. I shut the door and head into the kitchen to start cleaning up. I throw the dirty pans in the sink and start up the dishwasher, and hear the doorbell ring. I head back over to the living room and see who it is.

EDITOR: @directioneremo

WHOEVER LEAVES ME THE SWEETEST COMMENTS GETS A DEDICATION

Yet another cliffhanger!

JANE AND HARRY NEED A SHIP NAME (comment it here)

I have so many books planned for this year I can't wait to write them for you guys!

Chapter dedicated to: @nightchangeshoran for best comment!

Peace out!