↳ 7.2

"HAVE YOU— HAVE you seen my daughter, Penelope?"

Penny stood rigidly from across the street. Tears brimmed in her eyes as something claw-like squeezed her heart painfully, and she called out, "Dad!"

Mr. Scott didn't hear her, though, and kept on handing flyers to random strangers, bowing his head to those kind enough to accept.

"Dad! It's me!"

The traffic light turned green and Penny immediately dashed through the busy street of Main, Denver. She could hear the echoes of her own heartbeat and worn-out Converse beating against the white-stripped concrete. Everything seemed to roll in slow motion.

 Everything seemed to roll in slow motion

"Dad—"

Someone threw a piece of flyer away and it landed gracefully by her left foot.

MISSING, it read, PENELOPE SCOTT. Age 17. Height 5'3". Last seen: near Little Star Mart, wearing pink Hoodie, black jogger pants, and grey Converse.

A huge photograph of herself smiling was printed beside the last Scott family picture —Penny and Mr. Scott hugging Amy on the dinner table, facing the youngest's 10th birthday cake and an assortment of food.

"Oh no," Mr. Scott crouched down to take the dumped paper and flattened it out with shaky hands, "Don't throw it away. No, my daughter... Penny..."

"Dad, what are you talking about? I'm here..." Penny whispered forlornly. She knelt in front of Mr. Scott and reached out affectionately for him, but her hand ran through his body like a mere wisp of smoke and she screamed—

〰️

"DAD!"

PENNY SHOT up with her hand outstretched, and she immediately clamped her mouth to mask her heavy breaths. Fortunately, the other nine residences of her hut only stirred slightly (Zoe groaned and mumbled gibberish, too) before resuming their sleep.

Dad... Amy...

It had been nearly six months since Penny arrived in this tropical island —a place the Leaders called Safe Haven— and she still had nightmares. Tonight was actually pretty easy. There were a number of worse scenarios that had fleeted through her slumber, including her father being shot dead for protesting about her disappearance and her sister being taken forcefully by W.I.C.K.E.D. to fill in her place. And about them both losing their minds because they couldn't deal with the loss of a beloved family member, but Penny convinced herself that she probably didn't mean that much to them.

That made her feel bad, too, in another way.

Once again, Penny walked out of her designated housing and sat down on the porch.

Oh, no. She wasn't saying that the Safe Haven was ugly. Hell, it was even more than just beautiful. It was gorgeous, breathtaking. From her seat, her eyes could capture the lush green grass jutting out to form the hills on her right, the therapeutic waves clawing their way towards the white sand on her left, and the picturesque starry night above her head all in one frame.