Destiny

Dean and Cas have been (sort of maybe definitely yes) dating for about a month now, and Dean couldn’t be happier. 

Every time he leaves the locker room, completely beat after one of their games, Cas will be waiting there for him with a cold Coke and a shy smile, proudly wearing Dean’s spare jersey (which Dean gave to him on their third official date) —the thing a little too big on him in certain places since Cas has always been more of a runner, but Dean’s not gonna lie. The first time he saw Cas wearing it on the stands, it was in the middle of practice—and man, had that been embarrassing, because he’d proceeded to lose his grip on the bat mid-swing and almost given poor Benny a concussion. (Luckily, the guy had ducked in time.)

[[MORE]]

But all in all, Dean’s lucky and he knows it. The majority of his team had been surprisingly okay with the whole thing, and the couple of assholes who had given him disgusted looks when he’d announced he was dating Cas, looking like they were about to pitch in with something really, really crude, had quickly shut their mouths the second Benny had stepped forward to clap him on the shoulder, congratulating him on finally doing something about Cas because his pining was driving them all crazy (Dean tried to object at this point, especially when a lot of the guys had agreed, but Benny’s hand had squeezed his shoulder even harder and—damn, the guy was strong), and then he made a point of looking directly at Alastair and Lucifer when he’d assured Dean the whole team was incredibly happy for him and how glad they’d be to beat up anyone who so much as looked at them funny.

Needless to say, Alastair and Lucifer had been nothing but polite ever since. 

So yeah, Dean was lucky.

Especially tonight. Dean smiles as he accepts the offered can of Coke, kissing Cas’ cheek and ignoring his teammates groaning and whining as they walk past the couple, complaining about how their girlfriends never bring them anything after a game and how unfair their life is.

Dean just grins and wraps an arm around an adorably flushed Cas, leading him away from the crowds and in the direction of his own house.

They always walk there after Dean’s Saturday games, so they can watch a movie on the couch and hang out for a couple of hours before Cas has to go home. 

But tonight is definitely different, because Cas’ father is out of town for the entire weekend, so Cas is sleeping over at their house so he won’t have to be all alone at his own place (since his brother, Gabriel, is in New York, attending college). Dean can barely keep himself from grinning at the thought. 

It’s not like they’re going to be sleeping in the same room, John Winchester was very clear about that (“I love you, son, and Cas is a good boy. But you’re a hormonal teenager and you’re your mother’s son, so there is no way in hell I’m letting you two share a bed and trusting you to behave.” Dean would have complained, but Mary was smirking and he was too busy making gagging noises and going, “Oh my god, John. TMI!” So really, John Winchester won that round.), but Dean’s still excited he gets to spend the entire weekend with Cas.

His parents are out when they get back, because apparently they trust Dean enough to not cancel their regular date night, and Sam is up in his room, doing something nerdy like studying for exams that he won’t have for another two months.

They settle down on their usual spots on the couch to watch a movie, but halfway through Back to the Future Part II, they’ve given up staying on their respective sides, and Cas is basically sitting between Dean’s legs, leaning back against him and making rumbling, contented noises because Dean is petting his hair and he’s discovered it’s actually Cas’ secret weakness.

It’s a quiet Saturday night and maybe some people would call it boring, but to Dean it means everything. When he’s holding Cas like this, he can picture them a few years older, graduated and living alone, maybe in their own apartment close to a university they’re both attending—Cas going into History or Ancient Languages while Dean focuses on his Engineering degree and his baseball scholarship. 

… But when he closes his eyes? 

He can picture them even older, having a life together, and as his free hand plays with Cas’ fingers, it’s like he can feel the cool ghost touch of a wedding band kissing his skin.

It’s terribly sappy and embarrassing, and there is no way Dean is telling Cas about any of it, but that doesn’t stop him from going into la la Cas land every now and then.

When Dean opens his eyes, Cas is looking at him over his shoulder and he’s got a small, amused smile on his face. So Dean can’t help himself—he kisses him.

"What were you thinking about?" Cas asks him when he pulls back, and Dean returns to watching the movie. He can feel Cas’ eyes on him, so he shrugs.

"How cool it’d be to know what the future will be like."

Cas makes a considering noise and returns to watching the movie, but his own fingers are now entwining with Dean’s.

"I don’t think I’d like to know right away. It would be like picking up a book and skipping straight to the end. You don’t get to enjoy the characters’ journey, to understand how they got to where they end up," Cas pauses and lifts Dean’s hand to his lips, pressing a gentle kiss to his knuckles, and he’s quiet for so long that Dean almost forgets what they were talking about. Until Cas makes him splutter and choke, that is, "… I wouldn’t object to reading some spoilers online to find out whether the main characters end up together, though."

Dean can’t help it. Once he regains his breath, he laughs, holding Cas even closer, “Never thought of you as a cheater, Cas.” 

Cas appears way too calm when he replies, “Sometimes one can get too emotionally invested in a pairing,” He glances back at Dean, turning a little red in the face when their eyes meet, “Sometimes you just want them to get their happy ending.”

Dean smiles and presses a kiss to a warm cheek, a little breathless, “Yeah, I know what you mean.”

Cas returns his smile and Dean can’t stop himself from stealing a proper kiss, hand squeezing his boyfriend’s. He presses their foreheads together when they pull away, voice a warm, private whisper between them, “Guess if the book’s really good, having to wait to find out what happens isn’t so bad.”

Cas doesn’t agree out loud, but he does kiss him again, so Dean counts it as a win.

Six years later, on their wedding day, Sam picks up the microphone to read his best man speech. He rearranges his notes, clears his throat and then the little (gigantic) fucker looks straight at Dean across the dancefloor and gives him his best shit-eating grin, “I always knew Destiel was canon in this book.”

Dean groans and buries his face in his hands. Next to him, Cas is choking on his glass of champagne while their respective families look on, very confused. 

(Sam does eventually get through his planned speech—but not before Dean empties an entire bottle of champagne over his head.)

(He deserves it for eavesdropping on his brother.)

(Freaking little brothers.)

(… Though Dean did know they were canon, too.)

@dreamedofwings from tumblr